Budget Friendly Boho Master Bedroom Before & After Revealed
Create a relaxed boho master bedroom without breaking the bank with these ideas and elements for a boho look.
A reader recently asked, “How can you do a master bedroom makeover without spending a lot of money?“
Well, come on in and I’ll show you all the tips and tricks we used when we completed our Modern Boho Master Bedroom room makeover!
Boho Style Bedroom Makeover Reveal
Budget Friendly Master Bedroom Makeover Goals
Our two main goals for this makeover were to:
- Add personality and style through decor, and
- Increase functionality in the small space.
We also wanted to do this makeover using supplies that we already had on hand – as much as possible. We thought it would be a good way to free up some more space in our home as well as save money!
Bohemian Bedroom Inspiration
When researching boho bedroom ideas, I found it was a style that was casual and relaxed.
To create a boho style bedroom you can mix elements like these for a comforting retreat:
- Natural elements
- Earth tones
- Wall art with bold colors
- Mix of textures and pattern
- Fun lighting – like pendant lights or fairy lights
- Comfy throw pillows and throw blankets
- An accent wall with a bold color
1. Add in creative organization ideas to make a small boho bedroom function well.
In order to have a relaxing and cozy boho bedroom, we first needed to address the functionality of it.
Our small closet organization needed a complete makeover
Ours was a basic closet with a bar and shelf on each side. It was hard to keep organized and there was LOTS of wasted precious space!
Moving both hanging rods to one side of the closet and stacking them immediately made more sense.
Adding a small dresser and shelves to the other side allowed us to fit in TWICE as many clothes in the same amount of space.
We love it, and it’s still functioning so well.
Want all the nitty gritty details on how we did this small makeover? Click here for our tiny closet organization tricks. (And spoiler alert – it only cost $30!)
2. Create an eyecatching feature wall using bold color
Once the closet was addressed, we were able to move onto other areas of the room.
We started with the feature wall and painted it black.
(Wondering why we chose black? Well, these inspiration pictures with black bedroom walls sealed the deal for me. Plus, I used all my other tricks for how to choose a paint color that I just love!!)
Then we added floating beside tables, painted the Ikea’s Arstid wall sconces metalic gold, relocated some old art, made boho tapestry wall hangings, and faux leather throw pillows.
It made a HUGE difference!!
The color Iron Mountain by Benjamin Moore is a soft black color which changes in the most beautiful way as the light changes.
We just love how it turned out!
10$ floating bedside tables frees up precious floor space and makes our room feel so much more spacious!
My husband built our Pottery Barn inspired headboard years ago. It got a fresh, new look by stripping off all the layers of previous paint, and was upholstered with cream and black striped fabric I bought years ago.
I have special wall cord covers that can be painted and will cover up the white cords from our lights. (You can see how we hid the lamp cords here.)
Hanging Ikea Ritva curtains on a copper curtain rod (both of which I already had in my stash), gave a softer and more “high end” look than our previous curtains.
3. Inject your own personality through art and boho decor
The other side of the room got a few cosmetic changes, too.
A modern peg rail with shelf and some new farmhouse trim around the bathroom door jazzed up this wall without costing a fortune.
And speaking of cost, want to know how much this real life room makeover cost?
Cost of this Modern Farmhouse Boho Style Bedroom Makeover
- Closet Shelves & Brackets – Most materials we had on hand, but spend $10 for one piece of wood for shelf
- Simply White paint for closet walls and shelves – Already had on hand
- Baskets for Closet Shelf Organization – $20 for 4
- Iron Mountain Paint for feature wall – Already had on hand
- 2 Floating Nightstands DIY project – $20
- 2 Tapestry Wall Hangings DIY project – $3.00 for black pom pom trim
- Metallic Gold Spray Paint for Wall Lamps – Already had on hand
- Cord Covers for Lamps – $10 (I still need to put those on!)
- DIY Faux Leather Pillow Covers – $3 (I sewed them – tutorial will be coming)
- Ikea Ritva Curtains
- Throw Blanket – $12
- Wood for Peg Shelf $5
- Pegs – Already had on hand
- Wood Plugs for peg rail – $5
- DIY Boho Artwork – Already had all the supplies on hand
- New, real plants – $28
- DIY faux cement plant holders out of tin cans – Already had all the supplies
- =TOTAL COST: $125
Small Budget Makeovers are my Favorite
I admit. Small budget makeovers are my thing. I love the challenge small budgets are – and figuring out budget friendly DIYS to get the final result and look we’d like. To see other room makeovers done on a budget, you might want to check out these posts:
Want more ideas for your home?
Be sure to click the button below to become a VIP and join my newsletter list so you don’t miss a thing!
And, I also have a special gift for you! If you’d like to know some easy secrets to how to do room makeovers on a budget, I put together a FREE guide for you. Just sign up below to have it delivered right to your inbox.
DON’T MISS A THING!
Join my list for more ideas for you and your home…
Your bedroom makeover is absolutely stunning! Every part of the journey made it into an overall beautiful space
I would love to know where you got the wonderful picture over the bed. Looks so great in that spot.
Amazing difference! You are both so talented and work so well together!
I love how that peg rail turned out!
What a transformation. The bedroom looks amazing!!
Well done, Rita! I love the new look!
Thank you so much. We love it, too!
Wow – your room makeover is sensational! You’re so talented and always make things seem achievable – thank you 🙂
Love Iron Mountain!!! And the head board!!!