Say goodbye to boring walls and hello to chic boho vibes with our budget-friendly Boho Wall Shelf featuring pegs for added functionality. Discover how a touch of creativity and a few easy-to-find materials can turn your bare walls into a trendy focal point.
Putting together a dramatically downsized home is like piecing together an intricate puzzle.
I’ve learned that it takes time, patience, and a lot of experimentation!
This wall in our master bedroom was a particularly difficult piece.
It’s opposite our bed, and the door leads to the bathroom.
We quickly learned that placing my antique cedar chest at the end of our bed was going to mean broken toes in our future. It had to go.
We tried putting a cute sitting area in the corner. Oh, how I loved to sit there to read in the morning.
But, it jutted too far out in the room, too.
Then, we tried this antique dresser.
Like Goldilocks’s bed, it was just right!
It fits and functions just perfectly in that teeny tiny space.
But, then, I needed to figure out how to jazz up the wall behind it.
Here’s what we did:
Modern Peg Rail Shelf & Farmhouse Style Trim
Add interest to a boring wall by adding a boho shelf with pegs.
One long 1×3 board cut in half was turned into a shelf ledge with a peg rail.
Once hung on the wall, it’s the perfect perch for DIY boho art and plants.
It gives interest and height and doesn’t make the already small room feel smaller.
The pegs offer a whole bunch of decorating possibilities, but for now I’ve hung a basket with faux greenery and a scarf with tassels. It seems to fit the Modern Farmhouse Boho style we were going for.
For more simple DIY shelf ideas, check out these:
- Fixer Upper Style Farmhouse Shelves
- Floating Shelves with boards and dowels
- How to make turnbuckle shelves
Adding custom trim adds interest and style to a room
The boring bathroom door got a face lift with the same craftsman style trim treatment that we used for our hallway makeover.
We love the big difference those small changes made.
Cost of these projects:
Like I’ve mentioned in previous posts, we’re trying to do this room makeover using up as many supplies we already have on hand as possible. I had a whole collection of wooden pegs that were the inspiration for the peg shelf. But we did have to buy some wood for the shelf and the trim. Here’s the cost breakdown:
- Wood for peg shelf – $10.00
- Additional wood for trim for 2 doors (we also did the main bedroom door) – $20
- Paint – We had left over from previous projects
If you want to catch up on all the previous posts for this room makeover, here they are:
- Inspired by Black Bedroom Walls
- The Modern Farmhouse Boho Bedroom Mood Board
- Small Closet Organization Reveal
- Budget Bedroom Decorating: Painted Wall
- DIY Boho Landscape Painting
- DIY Floating End Tables
- How to Turn Tin Cans into Faux Cement Plant Holders
- DIY Farmhouse Sign using Fabric and Free Printables (Boho Tapestry)
- Hanging Ikea’s Ritva Curtains
- Update Bedroom Door Knobs for a Modern Look!
- Boho Bedroom Makeover Reveal
For more budget friendly ideas for your home:
Be sure to get join my newsletter list today and become a VIP!