Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies Recipe
Eat a rainbow of colorful, nutritious food with this delicious oven roasted sheet pan chicken and veggies recipe. An assortment of multi-colored veggies is paired with diced chicken and spices to create a lovely meal with whole foods that will fill you up and help you feel fabulous!
I’m on a mission. It’s a search for a healthy mid-life “diet” that’s sustainable enough to become a new lifestyle for this new season of life.
Last week, one of my friends left me a sweet voice message on Instagram. She talked about lots of things, but one of her comments was, “Well, it’s not hard to eat healthy. I’m sure you already do that.”
I laughed right out loud when I heard that.
No, maam. I tell you what. I can whip up the most amazing casserole dish with cream of mushroom soup and slathered in cheese with an ooey gooey pan of easy chocolate brownies for dessert in a heartbeat.
But, do I know the basics of sustaining a “healthy” food plan? Nope! I’m in new territory here. Add in the new developments of menopause, and I feel I’m in a whole new school of learning.
So, learning I am.
Last week I learned that I should focus on eating “whole foods”. The definition of whole foods given was “anything that has a mother or comes from the ground”.
This recipe fits the criteria! And it’s so amazingly delicious, we’ve already had it 3 times!!;)
Ingredients for this One Pan Chicken & Veggies Recipe
(A printable recipe card is provided at the bottom of this post for your convenience.)
- 4 medium sized carrots, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red pepper, cored and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, cored and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups brocolli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional (but we love spicy food and cayenne has great anti-inflammatory properties!)
Step by step instructions for this sheet pan meal
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Prepare a sheet pan by lining it with aluminum foil to cut down on clean-up. (I use a stonewear sheet pan and prefer to use it unlined.)
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon olive oil in the bottom of a large mixing bowl. Add the diced carrots and stir until coated well with the oil. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the carrots to the sheet pan and spread out so there is space between each carrot chunk. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until you can just poke it with a fork, but it isn’t soft all the way through.
- While the carrots are baking, drizzle the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in the bowl and add the peppers, brocolli, and chicken. Sprinkle on the spices and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Once the carrots are partially cooked, transfer the rest of the ingredients from the bowl onto the sheet pan, spreading them out evenly in a single layer.
- Bake for an additional 20-30 minutes – stirring half way between the cooking time. When it is finished baking, the veggies should be fork tender & starting to carmelize, and the chicken cooked all the way through.
Tips & Tricks for Sheet Pan Dinners
- The cooking times will differ based on the exact measurement of your veggies and chicken. I like to bake mine until almost all the juice is baked away and the chicken is just starting to get a bit crispy.
- It’s best to cook sheet pan dinners in a single layer. If you are making this for more people, you’ll have to use more than one sheet pan. Add extra baking time for more than one pan in the oven.
- If you plan on having this more than one time in the week, you can prep the veggies ahead and store them in zip-loc bags or airtight containers in the fridge.
- The secret to successful sheet pan dinners, is to get the baking times right for each veggie. Things like carrots, sweet potatoes, and potatoes will need a head start in baking before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Variations for this sheet pan chicken and veggies recipe
- Have fun using your own mix of veggies! Other options include sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash, & zucchini.
- Play around with spices until you get the mix that you love the most. I’m still working on a spicier version of this for fun (with chili powder and cayenne).
- Although this recipe post desperately needs new pictures, this chorizo chicken sheet pan dinner Jamie Oliver inspired is another sheet pan dinner recipe that’s so delicious!
What do you serve with sheet pan chicken & veggies?
We find that this recipe fills us up just as it is! However, it could be served with a simple spinach salad or rice.
For more chicken recipes (on the healthy side of things;)), you might want to check out:
- One pan creamy chicken florentine
- Our favorite barbecue chicken marinade
- This chili grilled chicken salad is so incredibly tasty!
- This skinny version of chicken alfredo spaghetti squash was inspired by the Pioneer Woman.
DON’T MISS A THING!
Join my list for more ideas for you and your home…