Puppy Chow Mix is a sweet, no bake recipe made with Chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar. The Valentine’s Day Cupid’s Chow version has pink and red candies to make it fit the holiday season!
I recently discovered this popular treat called Puppy Chow Chex. I checked the recipes multiple times to find out if I had the recipe name correct – and it is!
A quick search revealed that it was named so because it does – in fact – resemble dog food!!
Also called Chex Mix Muddy Buddies, I can assure you that there is no reason to be put off by its name.
I can tell you from first hand experience that this no bake treat is absolutely delicious – and very addictive once you start snacking on it!;)
How to Make Cupid’s Puppy Chow Mix – Muddy Buddy Puppy Chow Snack Mix
Ingredients needed for this quick recipe:
- 9 Cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips – any kind will do. I used semi-sweet
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup pink & red Smarties (or M&Ms)
- Sprinkles – optional, but fun!
1. In a microwave bowl, melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
Microwave times differ based on the strength of the microwave, but I put mine on for 1 minute 20 seconds and it was perfect. Stir until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Then, stir in vanilla.
2.Combine Chex cereal and the melted chocolate peanut butter mixture.
This can be done various ways. I tried pouring the Chex cereal into the same bowl as the melted mixture and mixed it gently with a large spoon. I quickly discovered that having a larger bowl would work much better!;)
3.Add powdered sugar and shake to combine.
Once I discovered my small bowl was too small to accomplish this task easily, I transferred the whole mixture into my largest Tupperware plastic bowl with lid. I poured the powdered sugar on the top, put the lid on it, and shook it gently until everything was combined. It worked like a charm!
If you don’t have a large bowl with a lid, I’m sure a large ziploc bag would work the same way.
4. Finish off the Puppy Chow snack mix with add-ins of your choice.
Since this Puppy Chow was for a Valentine’s version, I added in pink and red Smarties. Up here in Canada, Smarties are almost identical to M&Ms. So, use whatever colored candies your country has in stock at the time!
For other variations of Puppy Chow snack mix:
- Trail Mix – Add in peanuts and raisins
- Classic Puppy Chow mix – No additions to the basic mix of chex, melted peanut butter & chocolate, and powdered sugar
- Mint Puppy Chow – Add in crushed Andes mints
- Smores Puppy Chow – Chocolate Chips and marshmallows
Package Puppy Chow for a Sweet Valentine’s Day gift
Although this sweet snack mix is perfect for the family to dig into for movie night, I also think it makes a great little gift idea. Here’s how to turn it into a gift:
- Find a pretty container to put some in. (I found this clear bowl at our local Dollar Store.)
- Cut a large piece of clear cellophane wrap big enough to cover the whole bowl and mix.
- Tie with curly ribbon.
- Add a free printable Valentine gift tag with baker’s twine.
Another idea is to fill a small zip-loc snack bag with Puppy Chow mix and tuck it into a Valentine Card.
For more Valentines Ideas, check out:
For more recipes, crafts & ideas for your home all year round, join the VIP group!
Become a VIP newsletter subscriber and get instant access to the library of free printables (including wall art, gift tags, and more!). Click here or the button below to join today.
And if you want to see more real life behind the scenes action, be sure to come join me on my @harbourbreeze Instagram Channel!
**This recipe was inspired by General Mills Gluten Free Chex Muddy Buddies recipe.