Moist & tender pumpkin banana muffins are close cousin to banana bread – just in a tasty muffin form! The delicious combination of warm pumpkin spice and banana make the perfect muffin recipe for a quick breakfast or afternoon snack. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and chopped nuts for a special topping treat before you put them in the oven.
When I was researching recipes the other day, I was on a mission to use up the overripe banana on my counter along with some leftover pumpkin from my can of pumpkin puree. I was thrilled to discover this banana pumpkin muffin recipe, and they have quickly become one of our favorite muffin recipes!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Do you, too, have an empty nest and are cooking for two? If so, this recipe will be right up your alley. It’s a small batch recipe, so it only makes 7 muffins. I don’t know about you, but a batch of over a dozen muffins just isn’t the best thing for my waistline these days… If you want this recipe to yeild more muffins, just double it.
- These muffins are so moist and tender – with just the perfect amount of warm and cozy pumpkin spice!
- This great recipe has only simple ingredients. Other than the main ingredients of pumpkin and banana, you probably already have everything else you need in your pantry.
- Although warm muffins fresh from the oven are my favorite, these tasty muffins are good served hot or cold.
Ingredients for this Pumpkin Banana Muffins Recipe
(A printable recipe card is provided at the bottom of this post for your convenience.)
- 1 overripe banana (about 1/2 cup) – mash with a fork on a plate
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!) – You can used canned pumpkin puree like I did, or use your own homemade pumpkin puree.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter – melted and then cooled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- toppings like chocolate chips & chopped nuts, optional
Step by step Instructions for Banana Pumpkin Muffins
- Line a muffin tin with 7 muffin cups, leaving every other space empty (except one). If you’d rather not use paper liners, spray the muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the banana, pumpkin, and sugar until smooth.
- Add in the melted butter, egg, and vanilla and mix well.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together with a large fork or wooden spoon until just combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop with trigger to fill the muffin liners 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle on topping items like chocolate chips and chopped nuts if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center of the muffin springs back to the touch and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool fully.
Tips & Tricks
- Leaving an empty space between the muffin cups allows for more air flow as they bake, so you’ll get nice fluffy muffins with rounded tops.
For this simple muffin recipe, I used my stand electric mixer, muffin tin, and muffin cups. I’ll link below some similar items to the ones I have in my home kitchen.
(Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite kitchen tools!)
Store pumpkin banana muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Other Favorite Pumpkin Recipes that use Pumpkin Puree:
Other Recipes that use Overripe Bananas
PIN THIS RECIPE TO REMEMBER IT LATER: