Try this warm and comforting turkey pumpkin chili as a quick & easy weeknight soup recipe – perfect for chilly days!
Soup recipes are some of my favorites. I was on the lookout for a new one, and stumbled onto the idea of turkey pumpkin chili.
Since spicy pumpkin soup is in my list of favorite soups, I thought I’d try it out.
A new twist on classic chili, this turkey pumpkin soup has a great mix of flavors – using ground turkey meat and canned pumpkin.
And, the best part? It’s so very quick and easy to make! The only thing you need to chop is the onions.;)
Turkey Pumpkin Chili Recipe
Ingredients you’ll need for this soup recipe:
- Olive oil – To help get the onions sauteing.
- Diced onion
- Fresh, minced garlic – or garlic powder could be subsitutued if you don’t have fresh on hand.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Ground turkey – Or ground chicken could be substituted if you prefer.
- Chicken broth – I use OXO chicken broth powder mixed with water, or you can use pre-made chicken broth.
- Rotel Original – I used 2 cans of Rotel for this recipe, because I was all out of diced tomatoes. It was delicious! However, if you don’t have any Rotel in your pantry, diced tomatoes could be used.
- Canned pumpkin – NOT pumpkin pie filling!
- White beans – Black beans or red kidney beans could be used instead of white beans for a slightly different flavor.
- Chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper (optional) – The beauty of this chili recipe is that you can customize the spiciness of it for your preference. Like it burn-your-lips spicy? Add some more cayenne. If you don’t want it as spicy, you can omit the cayenne all together!
The actual amounts of each ingredient are listed in the printable recipe card below.
Step by step instructions
Step 1: Heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stock pot. Once it is hot, add in the diced onion and saute until it starts to turn clear – about 2 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and saute for one more minute, or until onions are translucent.
Step 2: Add in the ground turkey and break it up with the end of a flipper. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook and stir until it browns and is fully cooked.
Step 3: Add in the chicken broth, canned pumpkin, rotel, beans, and spices. Stir and bring to a boil.
Step 4: Reduce heat and simmer for about 7 minutes so all the flavours can mix together well.
What do I serve with Turkey Pumpkin Chili?
Turkey pumpkin chili can be served with your favorite soup garnishes. Here are some of our favorites:
- Oven Baked Tortilla Strips (pictured above)
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Sprigs of parsley or oregeno
Looking for more soup recipes?
Here are some of our favorites:
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- White Chicken Chili Recipe for Slow Cooker
- Creamy Tortellini Soup with Sausage & Spinach
More Fall Recipes
This post is part of an “All About Fall” blog series I’m doing with my friend Shirley. Be sure to head on over to her post to check out the yummy chicken noodle soup she has simmering at her house!
Want to get more recipes and dinner ideas delivered right to your inbox?
Join my newsletter subscriber list for exclusive menu plans, printable grocery lists & menu planners, and new recipes. Just click here or the button below to join today!