Cut out sugar cookies are one of the best Christmas sugar cookies recipe to make..Requiring just simple ingredients, these soft and chewy cookies are so much fun to make with the whole family! .
Christmas cookies are part of our family holiday season traditions. This Old Fashioned Rolled Sugar Cookie recipe is often the first thing I pull out of my recipe box to make. In fact, my kids think it’s the best sugar cookie recipe of all. The first time I made it with my boys’ help was when they were 2 and 4 years old!
This cut out out sugar cookie recipe is a great recipe that makes a soft sugar cookies that can be easily frozen if desired.
I usually bake the whole batch, let them cool, and then freeze them between layers of waxed paper in airtight containers.
Once it’s time to serve them, I thaw out the baked rolled sugar cookies and mix up a small batch of icing for the amount I want to serve. It’s easy and so delicious.
How to Make Old Fashioned Rolled Sugar Cookies
Supplies Needed for Soft & Tasty Cut Out Sugar Cookies:
- Large Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Mixing Spoons
- Pastry blender
- Pastry cloth (optional)
- Rolling Pin
- Cookie Cutters (whatever designs you choose)
- Cookie Sheet
- Wire Cooling Racks
Rolled Sugar Cookies Ingredients:
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Butter
- 2 large Eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
How to Make this Old Fashioned Rolled Sugar Cookie Recipe
You’ll mix up this simple recipe in 2 seperate bowls.
1. In the first large bowl, mix together:
- 4 cups flour,
- 1 tsp. baking powder, and
- 1/2 tsp. salt,
- Cut in 1 cup butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives.
2. In another bowl, mix together:
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/3 cup milk,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract,
- 1 1/2 cup sugar, and
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
4. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and stir gently.
5. Flip the dough onto a lightly floured pastry mat, and knead it gently ~ just so it sticks together.
6. Divide dough into 2 portions. Start with the first portion and roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness.
7. Using your favorite cookie cutters, cut out whatever shapes you’d like. We have stars and trees at our house…
8. Place on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. (Placing parchement paper on the baking sheets makes for easy clean up.)
9. Bake cookies at 375 degrees for 5 minutes – or until very lightly golden brown.
The secret to soft and chewy old fashioned sugar cookies is to take them out before they start to brown. If they are too browned, they will turn crunchy!
10. Cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
Once completely cooled, ice with your favorite homemade frosting.
Here is my quick and easy homemade frosting for sugar cookies.
Yield: About 4 dozen
How should I store these cut out sugar cookies?
Store these sugar cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. However, I feel better always refrigerating or freezing mine until I’m ready to use them.
To freeze sugar cookies, place them in an airtight container or heavy duty freezer bag, being careful to seperate each layer with wax paper or parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together. Store in the freezer for up to six months.
For more Merry Christmas Season Recipes, you may want to check out these posts:
- Christmas cookie recipes with pictures
- Christmas Dipped Chocolates,
- Swedish Tea Ring,
- Overnight Buns,
- Old Fashioned Steam Pudding & Sauce
- Christmas Breakfast Recipes
Updated October 2021