Fudgy & chewy, these brownie mix cookies are quick and easy to mix up and get in the oven. Using a box of brownie mix along with a few basic pantry ingredients and candies, this easy cookie recipe is a holiday ready treat!
Here in my Canadian home, I find that we can’t always get the fun holiday candies and treats that are readily available in the United States. I was thrilled to find red and green M&Ms in our store, though, and picked up a package and went home in search of something fun to make with them.
I landed on this super quick and easy brownie mix cookie recipe, and loved how they turned out.
Why You’ll Love these Brownie Cookies from Box Recipe
This easy recipe is one to have at the ready if you need to ever get a batch of cookies made quickly. If you want to make them for a holiday other than Christmas – or even just an ordinary day- other colored M&Ms or add ins like peanut butter chips, nuts, or white chocolate chips could be used.
(For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.)
- 1 box Betty Crocker brownie mix
- canola oil (or any type of vegetable oil)
- all purpose flour
Instructions for Easy Brownie Mix Cookies Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat. If you don’t happen to have either of those options, greasing the pan works, too!
- In a large or medium bowl, combine everything but the M&Ms. Once the chocolate brownie cookie dough is mixed thoroughly, stir in the M&Ms.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop the dough in 1 Tablespoon balls on to the prepared baking sheets, 2 inches a part. (Do not flatten the cookie dough balls before placing in the oven!)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they are set in the center. They should bounce back ever so slightly when the top of the cookie is pressed gently with your finger.
- Immediately upon removing from the oven, press a few more red and green M&Ms onto the top of each cookie.
- Cool for 2-3 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you find your cookies are spreading out too much when baking, add additional flour. You will want to have a thick dough that forms a ball on your baking sheet. Do one test cookie bake to see if it will be the right consistency if you’re unsure.
- To acheive a chewy brownie cookie with a fudgy center, make sure you don’t overbake them. We would prefer gooey brownies with chewy edges over those with crispy edges!
I used a 440 gram or 15 ounce brownie mix box of Betty Crocker brownie mix with chocolate chunks for this recipe. Many brownie mix cookie recipes call for an 18 ounce box – which would probably work even better – but again, some products are more challenging to find here in Canada.
Other brands of brownie mix – like ghirardelli brownie mix- will also work with this recipe. Just ensure that there is at least 15 – 18 ounces of mix.
Variations for Chocolate Brownie Cookies from Box
Feel free to customize these cookies with 1 cup of add-ins of your choice. Some options include:
- White chocolate chips
- Dark or milk chocolate chips
- Pink & red M&Ms for Valentine’s Day
- Chopped nuts such as almonds, walnuts, or pecans
You could also turn this easy recipe into a decadent dessert by adding a brownie mix cookie alongside a scoop of ice cream with chocolate sauce for a brownie cookie sundae dessert!
Favorite Kitchen Tools
I love to use kitchen tools that help me to work quickly and efficiently – so I can get in and out of the kitchen fast!
My Favorite Cookie Baking Tools
You might also want to check out my Amazon storefront for more favorite kitchen tools!
Store brownie mix cookies in an airtight container or ziploc bag on the counter at room temperature for up to 5 days. For longer storage times, place them in the freezer with parchment paper in between layers. (They will last up to 3 months in the freezer when sealed properly.)
Another tip: Brownie Cookies are great for parties!
Brownie cookies are a great option for parties and look great on a cookie platter!
Need more Christmas cookie recipes?
This brownie mix cookie recipe is part of our Christmas cookie recipe e-book. To get 11 more amazing Christmas cookie recipes in one handy dandy digital (and printable) e-book, click the button below for all the details!
SAVE TIME & STRESS!
CHRISTMAS COOKIES RECIPES COLLECTION
With a mix of traditional & trendy Christmas cookies, this recipe collection with pictures can help bring back the fun (& simple) traditions of Christmas baking.
More Fan Favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes:
- Soft & Chewy Rolled Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Never Fail Fudge
- Make this condensed milk fudge recipe in the microwave in 5 minutes!
- Chocolate Marshmallow Log
- Cranberry Lemon Bars
- Jam Sandwich Cookies (a shortcut recipe!)
- 75+ Christmas cookie recipes with pictures
- Cute & quick Rudolph Cookies
PIN THIS RECIPE TO REMEMBER IT LATER:
For more recipes, crafts & ideas for your home all year round, become a VIP!
Become a VIP newsletter subscriber and get instant access to the library of free printables (including wall art, gift tags, and more!). Click here or the button below to join today.