This hearty creamy tortellini soup with sausage & spinach is like a favorite version of pasta in soup form. You’re going to love this warm & cozy one pot meal!
I’ve been on the hunt for some new soup recipes and stumbled onto this one. It was very good the first time around.
In fact, it was so good we decided to make it again less than a week later!
We made a few modifications to the original recipe, and it will definitely be going into our file of favorite soup recipes!
How to Make Creamy Tortellini Soup with Sausage & Spinach
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 lb Italian sausage – We used mild Italian sausage, but you can use hot if you prefer it more spicy.
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 4 large carrots – peeled and diced in small dices
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 carton chicken broth – 900 ml (or 4 cups)
- 900 mg refrigerated cheese pasta – (If you want your soup to be not quite as thick with pasta, use a smaller package.)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach – chopped
- 2 cups half and half
Directions for Sausage Tortellini Soup
1. Remove casings from Italian sausage (if it is in casings). In a large soup pot, brown the sausage until it is cooked through. Remove the sausage from the pan and place in a separate bowl.
2. To the pan, add the onions and carrots and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until they are soft. Add the garlic and sauté for a few more minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Whisk the flour into the onion, carrot, and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add in the chicken broth, whisking to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 6 minutes.
4. Add in the sausage, tortellini, salt, pepper, spinach, and half and half. Simmer for 5 minutes
Other ideas for this creamy tortellini soup:
- If you want this soup to be “soupier”, don’t add in as big a package of cheese tortellini. We put in a big family sized package, and it made a super thick soup – almost like a pasta dish. We loved it that way, but if you prefer a more traditional soup, try using half as much tortellini.
- If you or your kids don’t prefer spinach, it will be just as delicious without it.
- For a pretty presentation, garnish with fresh parsley.
- If you’d like a spicier soup, use hot Italian sausage instead of mild.
- If you want a slightly different flavor, choose a different variety of tortellini.
Using this Tortellini Soup for leftovers
This soup makes the best leftovers! Store leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the fridge and reheat in the microwave. Keep in mind, though, that the tortellini may cook more in the microwave and get slightly mushy. If you want to make this soup with leftovers in mind, you may want to cook and store the tortellini separately.
“Can this sausage tortellini soup be frozen?” – Yes and no. It can be frozen before you add in the tortellini, spinach, and cream. The cooked tortellini will not freeze and thaw out well. Instead, freeze the soup in zip-loc freezer bags or sealed containers without the tortellini. Then, when you want to use it, thaw out the soup, heat it to a boil and add the tortellini, spinach, and cream then. It will be delicious!
Other favorite hearty soup recipes:
- Taco Soup
- Chicken & Gnocchi Soup(like the Olive Garden’s!)
- White Chicken Chili
- Creamy Curry Carrot Soup
- Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- Potato Soup & Dumplings
Get more recipes & ideas for your home delivered right to your inbox! Become a VIP newsletter subscriber!
Become a VIP newsletter subscriber and get instant access to the entire library of free printables (including wall art, gift tags, and more!). Click here or the button below to join today.
And if you want to see more real life behind the scenes action, be sure to come join me on my @harbourbreeze Instagram Channel!