Top off your favorite soup or stew with a batch of these easy homemade drop dumplings. With just a few simple ingredients, it stirs together quickly and makes an easy one pot dinner idea!
Why you’ll love this drop dumpling recipe.
Today’s drop dumpling recipe comes straight out of Grandma’s recipe box. Many of you are like me and love the good old fashioned recipes and this is one of them!
Drop dumplings taste similar to biscuits, but melt in your mouth a little more. They are light, fluffy, and tender.
Some people have told me that they use canned biscuits to put on the top of soups & stews – which is a great idea. But, if you don’t happen to have them on hand, these just take a few minutes to mix up with common ingredients, and taste amazing!
I particularly like these on top of potato soup.
I grew up with Potato Soup as a hot, comfort food on cold Winter nights. And dumplings on the top makes it extra special.
While your soup or stew starts to simmer, mix together this easy dumpling recipe.
Ingredients for Drop Dumplings:
- 1 cup flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
How to make Drop Dumplings for Soup:
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the egg & milk together in a separate bowl.
- Add the liquid to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. (Don’t over mix.)
- Once soup is heated through, drop dumplings onto the top of the hot soup using a generous heaping tablespoon. Don’t worry if they look small. They will puff up while they steam.
5. Use your finger or a spatula to drop the dumpling dough around the edge of the soup pot and then in the middle.
- Make sure the soup is turned down to a low simmer, put on the lid and cook the dumplings for about 20 minutes.
You’ll know they are done when they are puffed up and bounce back when you gently poke the top with your finger.
Serve soup in bowls with dumplings on the top.
Ahh…comfort food at its best!!
More Soup Recipes you might enjoy:
- Olive Garden Copycat Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Creamy Tortellini Soup with Sausage & Spinach
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Spicy Buffalo Chicken Chili Inspired by Rachel Ray
- Turkey Pumpkin Chili