With only a few ingredients and a few minutes to mix it up, this easy no bake coconut balls recipe is a perfect holiday treat. This deliciously sweet coconut treat has a moist filling, coconut flakes, and chocolate on the top. It’ll be a holiday hit!
Why you’ll love this easy coconut balls recipe
This holiday recipe came from my mother-in-law’s recipe file. It’s one of our family favorites! Here are some reasons why I think you’ll love it, too!
- This no bake Christmas cookie recipe only takes 6 ingredients!
- Aside from the chill time, it only takes minutes to mix up coconut balls.
- Coconut balls make a beautiful platter that resembles pretty snowballs – perfect for holiday parties.
- You can customize the chocolate coating to make it look the way you like. They can be completely covered in chocolate, drizzled, or even left plain. Any way you choose, they’re all delicious!
Only 6 Ingredients are needed for this no bake cookie recipe!
(A printable recipe card is provided at the bottom of this post for your convenience.)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 can (300 ml or 14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups fine or medium coconut
- **8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips – (which is about 1 1/4 cups)
- **2 1/4 teaspoons vegetable oil
**Please note that this amount of chocolate chips would be enough to dip quite a few coconut balls. If you just want to drizzle the chocolate on the top, you won’t need to make this much dipping chocolate.
Step by step instructions for easy coconut balls
- Mix together the powdered sugar, sweetened condensed milk, coconut and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until completely combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour before forming into balls.
- Once the filling is chilled and firm enough to handle, form into small balls by rolling about 1 tablespoon of dough in the palms of your hands. Set on a parchment or wax paper lined pan and chill in the refrigerator or freezer.
How to dip coconut balls in chocolate
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and oil. Heat in 20 second intervals in the microwave, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth.
- Use a long toothpick or metal cake tester to dip the chilled coconut balls into the melted chocolate and set on parchment lined pan.
- Or use a spoon or fork to drizzle chocolate over the top.
- Chocolate chips do not make the most ideal dipping chocolate! I found that it left too thick of a covering on the coconut balls. If you want to have chocolate covered coconut balls, I recommend you use your own personal favorite dipping chocolate method.
- Drizzling chocolate worked well with this melted chocolate and makes a pretty presentation. However, be sure to keep the coconut balls chilled until ready to use, as they get quite soft at room temperature.
- Sprinkling coconut on immediately after dipping in the chocolate makes a pretty topping. White sprinkles would also be pretty.
How to store no bake coconut balls dipped in chocolate
Store coconut balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve. They keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and in the freezer for up to 2 months.