Let’s kick off pumpkin season with a classic pumpkin roll recipe. This moist spiced pumpkin cake spread with a heavenly cream cheese filling is rolled up in a swiss roll to make the perfect dessert recipe. Just slice & serve!
This pumpkin call roll recipe was one of my mom’s great recipes. I remember her making this in our farmhouse kitchen when I was growing up, but had never tried making any kind of swiss rolls until now. I somehow thought they were hard and complicated, but found out they’re not!
With just a few tips & tricks, anyone can make this easy pumpkin roll recipe.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- The most important thing is that it tastes amazing! Pumpkin roll cake is one of the most delicious pumpkin recipes with just the right amount of pumpkin pie spice and sweet cream cheese filling.
- This delicious pumpkin cake can be make and frozen ahead if you want to plan for upcoming guests.
- If you’re looking through your recipes for pumpkin desserts for Fall, this one makes a pretty presentation and is so easy to slice & serve.
Ingredients for Homemade Pumpkin Roll Recipe
(For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.)
- 3 eggs – at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1- 8 ounce package cream cheese – softened to room temperature
- 6 Tablespoons butter – softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan by spraying it with cooking spray and lining it with a sling of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees farenheit.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat eggs and sugar together with an electric mixer until the mixture turns to a light yellow in color – about 5 minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the pumpkin and lemon juice and mix on low speed until just combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt – making sure there are no lumps.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Spread the pumpkin cake batter into the prepared pan and smooth mixture out into an even layer using a large offset spatula – ensuring the batter gets spread to the edges of the pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. It will be done when the cake springs slightly to the touch and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Instructions for preparing a cake roll
There are some important tips & tricks that will help you master swiss rolls – like this pumpkin roll cake – with confidence. Here’s what I learned.
- While the cake is baking, generously sprinkle a lightweight towel with powdered sugar.
- Once the cake is out of the oven, run a knife around the ends of the baking sheet and remove the cake by pulling up on the sides of the parchment paper sling you lined the pan with.
- Transfer the hot cake to a large wire cooling rack and then immediately flip the cake onto the powdered sugar dusted kitchen towel and peel off the parchment paper backing. The paper should peel off easily when the cake is hot.
- Starting at one short side, gently roll up the pumpkin cake as tightly as possible and leave in the towel on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Instructions for the cream cheese filling
- Place the softened cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on high speed until fluffy.
- Sift the powdered sugar after you’ve measured it and add it gradually to the powdered sugar. Mix on low speed until combined and then beat on medium speed. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
How to assemble a pumpkin cake roll
- Once the cake has cooled completely, unroll it gently.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly until the entire cake is covered, ensuring it is spread to the edges of the sides.
- Roll up the cake as tightly as you can and cover it with plastic storage wrap. I found that some of the filling squeezed out of the end as I rolled it up. (Maybe that’s normal?) I just used that as the bottom of the cake roll, and wrapped it all up in the plastic wrap. As it cooled it set up beautifully.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.
- Immediately before serving, sprinkle on powdered sugar for a pretty presentation.
How to Make a Pumpkin Roll Cake Video
I always find it easier to make something new if I can watch it being done first. My video skills are beginner, but I put together a short video of the process of how to do a pumpkin cake roll. You would use the same technique for any swiss roll recipe. Just click on the image below to watch:
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t forget to line your pan with parchement paper. This moist, sponge cake is very thin and the parchment paper allows you to get it out of the pan quickly and easily.
- Dust on a generous amount of icing sugar onto the towel, or the cake may stick.
- I actually put my plastic wraped cake roll (that I rolled a towel around) in the freezer to set up. As it started to set, I pulled it out and adjusted the plastic wrap tighter so the cake roll was rolled nice and tightly.
- The cake is very moist, so sprinkle on the powdered sugar on the top right before serving, as it “disappears” into the cake quick!
- To get pretty slices of pumpkin cake roll, heat up a sharp knife under hot water and wipe it dry before slicing each slice. It works like a charm!
- Sprinkle 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans onto the cake batter before putting it into the oven for nutty crunch in the cake.
- Reserve some of the cream cheese filling mixture and pipe it on the top for a different presentation.
Pumpkin cake roll and all swiss roll cakes require a jelly roll sized pan. I’ve linked one below along with other supplies that came in handy for this recipe.
(Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite kitchen tools!)
This pumpkin cake roll should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use. It can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Pumpkin roll cake can be made and frozen ahead by wrapping it in plastic wrap and storing it in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
To use pumpkin cake roll that has been frozen, remove from the freezer and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Top tip: Roll up the cake while it’s warm!
For best results, work quickly with the pumpkin cake right after it comes out of the oven. It needs to be rolled up in its towel while it is still warm.
- Pumpkin Bread with Cake Mix
- Turkey Pumpkin White Bean Chili
- Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- Blackberry Muffins (with pumpkin!)
PIN THIS RECIPE TO REMEMBER IT LATER:
For more recipes, crafts & ideas for your home all year round, become a VIP!
Become a VIP newsletter subscriber and get instant access to the library of free printables (including wall art, gift tags, and more!). Click here or the button below to join today.