Have fun this Summer while having a staycation! Here are 25 things to do while staying close to home.
Our Summer vacation was supposed to start today.
We had planned an epic road trip to see our family in Alberta and Montana.
But, like the rest of the world, we’re having to adjust our plans to the current world reality.
Staying close to home, it is.
We’re very fortunate to live in an incredibly beautiful area of the world (Vancouver Island, BC, Canada) where typically tourism abounds in Summertime!
So, this year, we’re going to be “tourists” right in our own backyard for our summer vacation.
I decided to put together a list of Summer Things to do, after pondering what WE could do for fun this Summer – while we’re staying close to home.
Hopefully it will give you some ideas while you stay in your neighborhood, too.
Summer Things to Do While Staying Close to Home
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience.
Choosing to treat your own extended backyard as your vacation spot might take some time to wrap your mind around. But, once you do, you just might discover how fun staycations are!
Since you are saving money from not going on an actual vacation, you can choose to splurge on things that you normally wouldn’t even consider – like a maid for a day or a spa treatment.
Here are some things I’ve brainstormed as we look ahead to a fun Summer close to home.
1. Go on a picnic.
2. Treat yourself to a Dairy Queen Blizzard.
3. Go for a hike or walk in an area you’ve never been before.
4. Tour a local museum on a hot day (and enjoy their air conditioning!).
5. Buy a magazine and sit outside and read it.
6. Put a water feature on your deck.
7. Pick a bouquet of flowers and bring it into the house to enjoy.
8. Get take out food for dinner, drive somewhere pretty, and eat it. (Add in some nice music for bonus points.;)
9. Make a craft. (This beach rock mosaic mirror or watercolor art are both great options for all ages.)
10. Read a good book under the shade of a tree or big umbrella.
11. Have an afternoon tea party on your patio with friends.
12. Find a local bed and breakfast or air bnb, and book a weekend “away”.
13. Spend a day at a local beach, river bank, or pond.
Even if you’ve been there many times before, pretend you’re a tourist for a day. Take sunscreen, a picnic, books to read – and anything else a tourist would take.
14. Float down a river in an inner tube.
15. Go fishing.
16. Have a root beer float.
17. Watch a movie outside on a big screen.
18. Make strawberry pie.
19. Freshen up your bedroom so it feels like a relaxing hotel room.
You could add in some pretty flowers, new sheets, and a summer scented candle.
20. Have a Christmas in July party. (Go ahead and exchange some gifts, too.)
21. Paint your toenails your favorite shade, or treat yourself to a professional pedicure.
Find some of my favorite beauty products in my Amazon Shop.
22. Buy a fun new, cool summer outfit or dress. (You’re saving lots of money not going on vacation, after all!)
23. Pretend for a day that your home is a luxury hotel, and hire a maid service to clean it.
24. Buy new coffee mugs and call it a “souvenir” from your staycation.
25. Spend some time planning meals and indulge in recipes you wouldn’t normally cook.
I know, I know, this sounds like work, doesn’t it? But stick with me a minute.
Part of the fun of vacation (for me, anyway) is the eating out part! If that isn’t an option, then work together with the rest of the people in your household to plan, prepare, and anticipate some fun new meals.
Like an anticipated vacation, the planning is part of the fun.
There you have it – 25 ideas. Do you have any you’d like to add to the list?
Sign up for some Summer Reading…
If you want some more Summer reading options, be sure to join my newsletter list. Every week I’ll send you recipes, crafts, home decor, and other ideas for you and your home.
Just click the button below to sign up today: