I get the itch to organize all. the. things. in January. Last year, I spent 8 weeks organizing each room in our house.
It was a fun and helpful exercise for me, and I wanted to do something similar (yet slightly different) this year.
Last week’s organization project was the bedroom. As I finished the “Tidying Up”, I realized that in the course of everything, our room felt like a brand new, fresh space! If you’re in the mood for something new, too, here are some ideas to get your creative juices going.
6 Simple Ways to Refresh Your Bedroom in Just a Few Hours
Clean out your closet
Although it seems like a daunting task, cleaning out your closet doesn’t have to be a monumental affair. Just pile everything on the bed, turn on some good music, and work quickly. You’ll be shocked at how much you can accomplish in just a short time.
Hold up every item you own and decide whether it needs to go back into the closet or if it should be donated. Here are some clues that it should go in the donate bin:
- You haven’t worn it in a year.
- You’ve don’t feel comfortable wearing it.
- It doesn’t fit.
- An items has needed alterations or repairs for a year.
- Seeing it brings back sad/ bad memories.
Hang up the clothes you want to keep on matching hangers ~ with one item per hanger. Then, hang the items by category. Your clothes will be so much easier to find!
Fold other closet items neatly and stack like items together, or contain them together in a pretty bin to place on the shelf.
Line up the shoes neatly. Hang scarves on a nice towel bar or hook rack.
Set up a Jewelry Station
Who likes to fuss with a knotted necklace or lost earring when they are late for work? Take a few minutes to organize your jewelry and arrange it in a manner that suits your style. I rounded up some beautiful diy options in this post.
Rearrange the furniture
As much as your room layout will allow, try switching up the furniture. Move a dresser to a different wall. Add a reading chair and lamp in the corner. Try moving a narrow bench from the hallway and place it at the end of the bed with a blanket on it.
Try out different looks until you find one you love.
Clean the windows and blinds
You’ll be surprised how lovely it feels to have the room freshly cleaned. Vacuum the room as you rearrange the furniture. Dust the baseboards and wash the windows. Remove your metal or vinyl blinds (if you have them) and soak them in the bathtub with soapy water. They will wipe clean so easily and be sparkly clean again.
Strip the bed
Take off the sheets and bedding and give it a wash. It feels so good to crawl into a bed with clean, fresh sheets.
Add in different decor
Shop your house for different decor that can change the look slightly in your room. Add a wreath above the bed. Place a candle on a stack of books, or turn on some twinkle lights.
Stand back and savor your new space!
Now, take a look around. Doesn’t that feel so good? Your room is fresh and clean ~ and filled with only the things that you love and use.
If you’re looking for more inspiration…
I highly recommend the following books: (You can find them here in my Amazon Shop.)
- Make Room for What you Love by Melissa Micheals
- The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
And don’t forget. Come join me on my Instagram Channel
For more easy home organization tips, you may want to check out:
- closet inspiration for a pretty and organized master bedroom closet
- DIY small closet organizers inspired by Ikea
- Organization ideas for small master bedroom
- This DIY floating bedside table is a great space saving solution for small bedrooms
- Get started with these simple home organizing tips
- Get some help from the pros with these organization Ikea ideas
Want help getting started in decluttering your home?
I’ve put together a free Home Organization series just for you! Included in it are:
- Simple 15 minute organization tasks for each day
- Additional resources and ideas for more specific spaces – like organizing kitchen cupboards, pantry organization, and how to organize small closets.
- FREE printable checklists
Click here or the button below to get started today.