Spiff up your kitchen with this simple under kitchen sink organization and DIY under sink mat.
Kitchen organization is tricky.
Along with figuring out how to organize kitchen cabinets, I’ve also struggled with the under kitchen sink organization.
Is it terrible to admit that I detest cleaning and avoid organizing under there?
But, I tackled it just the other day.
And, I’m happy to report – it wasn’t bad at all!
Simple Under Kitchen Sink Organization Ideas + a DIY Cabinet Mat
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience.
1. Get started with under kitchen sink organization by emptying it all out
I guess it goes without saying that to clean up the space you need to empty everything out!
2.Set all the containers to soak in hot soapy water
While I tackled scrubbing out the cabinet itself, I set the smaller containers in the sink to soak, and put hot soapy water in the garbage and recycling bins.
3. Wash the cabinet out well
I no longer use strong chemical cleaners in my home. This time, I reached for a spray bottle and just put in some dishsoap with water.
Although it was much improved in the cleanliness department, I noticed that stains easily form on the cabinet floor, and the finish is starting to wear off in some places.
I had seen some great under the sink cabinet mats at a local store for just that purpose, but I decided to try making one quickly using supplies I already had at home.
4. Make an easy DIY under sink cabinet floor mat
Supplies you’ll need:
- A big cardboard box (Amazon helped me with that!;))
- Tape measure
- X-acto knife
- Long straight edge (like a square or level)
- Marble look contact paper
- Unfold the cardboard box so it is flat.
- Cut the cardboard to fit the measurements of your under the sink cabinet floor.
- Cut 2 pieces of marble look contact paper slightly longer than the width of the cardboard.
- Peel off the backing of the contact paper and adhere it to the cardboard, wrapping it underneath the edges. (I just overlapped the contact paper.)
That new under sink mat makes the space feel so much fresher and cleaner!
Advantages of an under sink mat
I’ll admit, I tried this trick a few years ago and loved it. The contact paper is so easy to clean off. AND, it protected our cabinet from disaster! I didn’t realize we had a slight leak under there. By the time I discovered it, the cardboard was soaked through.
Yes, it did destroy my little diy, but it sure protected the cabinet! I’m glad I finally got around to replacing it now.
5. Get rid of all items you no longer use
Most of the items under the sink were things that we use on a regular basis. However, I laughed at my neatly folded knitted dishcloths in the plastic container.
I hadn’t reached for one of them in well over a year! (I use a different kind now. Keep reading…)
6. Put items back in an order that makes sense to how you use it, and use containers strategically for under kitchen sink organization
Our cabinet is quite deep, so I put the garbage bags behind the garbage cans. Then, when I take the garbage out to empty it, I can easily reach back and grab a new bag.
The dishcloth container was refilled with the actual dishcloths we use now – giving much needed space to my overflowing towel drawer!
The other plastic container holds dishsoap and pot scrubbers.
Best & recommended under kitchen sink organization products
Disclosure: These are affiliate links for your shopping convenience
If you are looking for specific products for under your kitchen sink, here are some things that I think would work well:
- This under the sink mat is beautiful, if you’d rather buy one instead of making one.
- I love the slim and straight design of these garbage cans.
- This is a super beautiful option for under sink organization with 3 pull out drawers
More Kitchen Projects using Marble Effect Contact Paper
Wondering what other DIYs you can do to spiff up your kitchen. Check out this project from my friend Julie: DIY Countertops with Contact Paper. They’re beautiful!!
For More Home Organization Ideas:
- Small Kitchen Organization can be a challenge! Here are some storage ideas.
- 5 Simple Ideas for Small Master Bedroom Organization
- Small Bathroom Organization ideas that look pretty, too!
- Entry Closet Organization with Farmhouse style.
Want to Join Us in Decluttering & Organizing your home – in just 15 minutes a day?!
I’ve put together a free Home Organization series just for you! Included in it are:
- Simple 15 minute organization tasks for each day
- Additional resources and ideas for more specific spaces – like organizing kitchen cupboards, pantry organization, and how to organize small closets.
- FREE printable checklists
Click here or the button below to get started today.