This classic lemon bar recipe makes the perfect dessert for a baby shower, bake sales, special occassion, or just the perfect treat with a cup of tea.
With its bright lemon color, these classic lemon bars are made with simple ingredients. A crisp shortbread crust paired with a luscious lemon filling makes these the best lemon squares ever!
How to Make Homemade Lemon Bars from Scratch in an 8 x 8 inch square pan
Ingredients for this Easy Lemon Bars Recipe:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salted cold butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (Fresh lemon juice is best, but you can also use purchased lemon juice.)
Step by step instructions:
Prepare the buttery shortbread crust.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare pan by lining it with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and powdered sugar. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the cold butter until it resembles course oatmeal.
3. Press the crumb mixture into an 8 x 8 inch prepared pan that has been lined with parchment paper and bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Prepare the sweet tart lemon curd filling.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon juice. (Fresh lemons make the best lemon juice, so if you have some, I recommend using fresh lemon juice.)
2. Pour the lemon curd mixture over the warm crust and bake 20-25 minutes longer.
The filling is cooked when the center is set.
Place the lemon bars pan on a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.
Remove them from by the pan by lifting the parchment paper. Sprinkle with a generous dusting of confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar) for a pretty finishing touch.
Cut into 16 squares with a sharp knife.
How to store lemon bars.
Since lemon bars have a custard filling, it is recommended to store them covered in the refrigerator if they aren’t going to be eaten within a few hours.
I like to even store them in the freezer if I want to make them ahead for a future event.
How lemon bars became a family favorite recipe.
Although lemon recipes are typically thought of as Spring or Summer recipes, the first time I remember eating them was at Grandma’s house at Christmas time!
I was a freshman in college and she enjoyed baking special treats for me and my college friends. This recipe was a memorable one that has been a favorite ever since. Now, I find it is a great recipe to take to potlucks, bridal or baby showers, or family picnics.
Other squares recipes you may enjoy:
- Texas Brownies
- Peanut Butter Fudge Bars Recipe
- 4-H Brownies
- Black Bean Ninja Blender Brownies
- This pecan bars recipe uses cake mix to save time.
For more recipes and ideas for your home:
Be sure to join the VIP newsletter list! As a valued VIP member, you will get exclusive access to the entire library of free printables – including wall art, cards, organization lists, menu planning set, and more.
Click here or the button below to join today.
And if you want to see more real life behind the scenes action, be sure to come join me on my @harbourbreeze Instagram Channel!
Comfort Food Dinner Ideas Just for You!
I co-wrote a comfort food recipe e-book set with my friend Shirley from Intelligent Domestications. You’ll find 30 Comfort Food Dinner ideas plus a bonus 10 Sweet & Treats recipes.
Click here for all the details.