Start new Christmas traditions with these fun Hallmark movie Christmas party game ideas – fun for all ages!
The other night-somewhere between “Christmas at Cranberry Lane” and “Don’t Kiss a Man in a Christmas Sweater” – I had a sudden thought.
“Wouldn’t a Hallmark movie Christmas party game night be fun?!”
I told my husband, and before you know it, we had ideas gallore – and were laughing ourselves silly!
If you aren’t familiar with Hallmark Christmas movies, let me fill you in.
They are slightly sappy romantic comedy (?) movies with predictable story lines, plenty of fake snow, a plethora of Christmas decor and always, always a happy ending!
And romance. With an awkward kiss at the end.:)
I’m a fan – along with many, many others.
If you haven’t discovered them yet, here’s where you can find the 2020 Hallmark Movie Schedule.
But, if you’re in Canada, you’ll soon be asking, “Where can I watch Hallmark movies in Canada?”
Up here, we have no Hallmark channel! But, the W Network has us covered. Here’s where you can find the Countdown to Christmas Movie Schedule on the W Network.
Now that you know where to watch the movies, let’s get started with some fun Christmas party game ideas!
Hallmark Movie Themed Christmas Party Game Ideas
Have guests (or family members) arrive dressed up as a character from a Hallmark movie
Part of the fun of Hallmark movies is that there is a “formula” for the cast members. Once you have a few Hallmark movies under your belt, you’ll understand what I mean.
Here are a few costume/ character options:
- Grandma – dressed in a flour-covered apron baking Christmas cookies
- Princess – dressed in a fancy gown ready for the Christmas Ball
- Prince – dressed in a suit or tux, ready to whisk his girl off to a Christmas Ball
- Christmas Tree Farmer Employee – Dressed in jeans, plaid button down shirt, scarf, & hat
- Town Mayor – Business casual
- Christmas gift shop owner – Business wear dress
- The heroine – Red coat, scarf & hat, or red dress
- Kids – dressed like they’re ready to head to school or a snowball fight in town square
- Hero – Nice jeans, dress outdoor coat (like a wool trench coat), and plaid scarf
- Any character – In a flannel pajama set with slippers sipping cocoa looking at the Christmas tree lights!
If you are planning this game as a part of a large event in a large space, you could have a special photo booth area set up to have guests take selfies as they arrive in costumes!
Play a Hallmark Christmas Movie relay game
This idea will obviously need to be customized based on the space you are playing it it. However, the premise is this:
Create “stations” where each player needs to complete a specific task.
Party goers can either play as teams – racing against the other team – or timed and playing as an individual for the quickest time.
If playing this in a house with your family, I think it would be fun to have the stations in different rooms of the house – having players run from one room to the next for each step.
If it is played in a large room setting, it could be set up on long tables having 2 teams race against each other.
How to set up the Hallmark Christmas Movie Relay Game:
- At a table: Set a plate of plain sugar cookies with bowls and bags of different colors of icing beside it. The player must ice a Christmas cookie and place it on a cookie tray.
- In the kitchen: Write instructions on a recipe card for how to make a cup of hot chocolate. Beside it, provide hot chocolate mix, water, mugs, spoons, marshmallows, and canned whip cream ready for them to use. The player must read the instructions and follow every step for making a perfect cup of hot chocolate. Set it on a hot chocolate tray. (If kids are playing, you might want to avoid the boiling water. They could instead make cold chocolate milk.)
- In a bedroom: Pile on the bed a variety of sizes of coats, scarves, mittens, and boots. Players must bundle up as if they are stuck in a blizzard in Alaska!
- By front door: Stack a pile of disposable containers or bowls ready to pick up quickly. Players must run outside (since they are bundled up for the cold!) and fill up the container with snow (ready for a snowball fight?) and leave it outside the front door. If you live in a space where there is no snow, the task could be to take a cup of ice out of the freezer and leave the bowl in the sink.
- In the living room: Provide a box of tangled battery operated Christmas fairy lights. The player must untangle a strand and place it around a small Christmas tree or Christmas ornament.
- In the living room: Place a bowl of wrapped Hershey kisses on the coffee table. Have players unwrap the kiss and eat it! (Cause every Hallmark movie ends in a kiss!)
- The finish line: The player must ring a jingle bell and he is finished!
How to play the Hallmark Christmas Movie Relay Game:
Time each guest until they complete the Hallmark movie relay course. The one who completes it the fastest wins!
They could be rewarded with a fun little gift like a hot chocolate bomb with gift tag!
Play the Hallmark Movie Scavenger Hunt Game (with free printables)
Once you have run around playing a relay game, then you can sit down and relax with a Hallmark Christmas movie. The hot chocolate and sugar cookies have already been made by the guests during the relay race. (Isn’t that handy?;)) Set the snacks on the coffee table, have the guests or family put on some cozy slippers and settle in to play.
How to prepare the scavenger hunt game:
Print off the free printable scavenger hunt cards I’ve created by going to the VIP Printables Library and entering your password. If you don’t have a password yet, no problem! Just click the button below and join for instant access!
I’d recommend printing the cards on cardstock for more durability, or print on regular printer paper and put each sheet into a clipboard.
Provide each guest with a scavenger hunt card and pen or marker.
How to play the Hallmark movie scavenger hunt game:
As you watch a Hallmark Christmas movie together, each person looks for the items on his or her scavenger hunt card. Once it appears in the movie, they can mark it off as “found”! Each card is different, so it is really by chance who wins!
For more Hallmark movie fun:
Check out these fun Christmas movie themed books you can get on Amazon! (They are affiliate links)
- Countdown to Christmas – Get behind the scenes insider information on how Hallmark Christmas movies are filmed, favorite recipes they use, and much more.
- The Cozy Christmas Movie Cookbook A yummy collection of cozy recipes inspired from your favorite Holiday films!!