Learn the quick & simple steps for how to make a frozen hot chocolate drink.
It’s funny where we learn new things, isn’t it?
I heard about this new-to-me drink recipe from the Hallmark movie “Christmas on Cranberry Lane”.
You know, because my husband and I have been doing “research” for Hallmark movie party games!
One of the characters exclaimed, “Frozen hot chocolate is my favorite!”
I looked at my husband and said, “What in the thunder is frozen hot chocolate?”
Since neither of us had a clue, I researched and tried making some myself.
Easy Frozen Hot Chocolate Recipe
What is frozen hot chocolate?
Unlike a chocolate milkshake, frozen hot chocolate is a slushy drink with ice. Sort of like normal hot chocolate, but in a frozen version.
What ingredients are needed for this frozen hot chocolate drink?
- 1/2 cup chocolate milk
- 1/4 cup hot chocolate mix
- 1 ice cube tray of ice (about 3 cups)
- whipping cream
- sprinkles for the top
Step 1: Freeze the mug it will be served in.
This is, of course, an optional step. However, it does work very nicely to put a frosty drink in a frosty mug!
Step 2: Blend chocolate milk, hot chocolate mix, and ice cubes in a blender.
I used my Ninja blender for this recipe, and it chopped up the ice nicely. However, if your blender isn’t very strong, you may want to opt for crushed ice instead.
Keep blending until your drink is the slushy consistency that you like. Mine still had a few larger ice chunks in it. However, keep on blending if you want it to be smoother.
Step 3: Finish off the hot frozen chocolate drink with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkles.
Canned whipping cream would make this step easy peasy. Then use whatever sprinkles or toppings you’d like.
Here are some topping ideas:
- chocolate shavings
- chocolate chips
- crushed peppermint candy
- chocolate sauce
- chocolate sprinkles
Other tips for hot frozen chocolate:
- Some articles I read claimed that the brand of hot chocolate mix you use makes a big difference in the flavor of the drink. I used the only kind we had in the house – (no name brand) – and it was delicious! If, however, you are a hot chocolate connoisseur, be sure to use your favorite brand of hot chocolate.
- You could drizzle chocolate sauce in the mug before freezing it for a pretty presentation.
- This frozen hot chocolate drink is best fresh. It doesn’t work well to make it ahead and freeze it.
For more recipe ideas inspired from Hallmark movies:
- Hot chocolate is a huge theme in Hallmark Christmas movies. These hot chocolate bombs are super trendy these days! You can make your own and even give them as gifts.
- Is there any Hallmark movie that doesn’t include cookies? Here’s our favorite rolled sugar cookies.
- When the family sits down for the big turkey dinner, what are they going to have for dessert? This old fashioned steamed pudding recipe would be perfect!
For more recipes, crafts & ideas for your home all year round, join the VIP group!
Become a VIP newsletter subscriber and get instant access to the library of free printables (including wall art, gift tags, and more!). Click here or the button below to join today.
And if you want to see more real life behind the scenes action, be sure to come join me on my @harbourbreeze Instagram Channel!