Wondering what to do with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas? This easy leftover turkey casserole idea is a quick, easy, & delicious baked pasta dish!
I’m one of the people who is frantically searching for leftover turkey recipes after Thanksgiving and Christmas!
This is a super quick and easy recipe and tastes just as delicious with leftover cooked chicken.
Leftover Turkey Casserole Recipe
Ingredients you’ll need for this quick & easy leftover turkey recipe
- 1 1/2 cups cooked turkey or chicken, diced
- 1 1/2 cups dried pasta (You can use macaroni, penne, or shells)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small (4 oz) can mushrooms stems & pieces, or 1/2 cup sliced, fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped pimento, optional
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 soup can full of milk (or 1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder, optional (but we LOVE it!)
- Optional – more grated cheddar cheese to melt on the top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour into an ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake 1 hour – stirring at the 30 minute mark (so all the dried pasta gets cooked through well.)
- Optional – once it is baked, sprinkle some cheddar cheese on the top and put the lid back on until it melts. Garnish with fresh thyme.
What do you serve with this leftover turkey casserole?
If you still have some of those yummy bread machine dinner rolls left over from Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, they taste DELICIOUS with this casserole. A simple green salad also goes nicely with it.
Also note that this easy casserole recipe can be made with leftover chicken as well.
The history of this leftover turkey casserole recipe
Potluck Sundays were a big deal when I was a little girl.
I prayed fervently that the pastor would finish his sermon a little early that day so we could get to the food that was making the place smell heavenly!;)
There was always an incredible spread of food.
Yes, there was a variety – but a few ladies had their “signature dishes”.
One of the most precious gifts I was ever given was a collection of recipes – handwritten on cards – by those church ladies 30 years ago at my bridal shower.
This Leftover Turkey Casserole is one of them.
Other Great recipes perfect for leftover turkey!
Many recipes that call for cooked chicken also taste just as delicious with leftover cooked turkey. Here are some of our family favorites:
Get recipes and ideas for your home delivered straight to your inbox!
Become a VIP newsletter subscriber and get instant access to our free printables library. Click the button below to join today!