------------------------------------------------------------

Beach Cottage Bedroom {Reveal!}

May 25, 2012

I know, I know.  I should keep the suspense of the Master Bedroom project building…  But, I just can’t stand it!  It’s all done, and I don’t want to wait one more minute to I show you.  So, this time, rather than give you snippets and peaks, I’m going to show the REVEAL first.  How’s that for switching things up?

The other day I told you I had a spurt of decor inspiration as I was cleaning our bedroom.  Actually, I’ve been contemplating it for quite a while, but cleaning day just helped spur me on.  For those who have never seen before, this was what our bedroom looked like when we moved in {You can see more pictures here}:

dark bedroom

A little over a year ago, it had a splash of {magical} White Down paint.  I loved its brightness, but it needed a little love…

beach bedroom before

So, let me introduce our new Beach Cottage Bedroom…:

after straight on

beach cottage bedroom labeled

{Can I just say?  I {Heart} It.!!}

My goal was  to use things that I already had.  I “hunted my house” ~ a new terminology I just heard ~ and repurposed, rearranged and reimagined what I already had.  The first big change was the white bedspread.  It’s actually the underside of a handmade quilt.  It’s so beautiful, even though it was meant to lay the other way around {It’s a bit busy, though…}.

from side

Extra {clean, but flat} bed pillows that were taking up precious storage space were recycled into new throw pillow forms.  Scraps from my fabric stash became a  new set of decor pillows that give a pop of color. {My favourites are those aqua linen ones…}

DSC_6637

The headboard and nightstand were given some fresh paint, and ferns from the yard were turned into botanical prints.

aqua nightstand vignette

The chippy white chair was moved to make a more stylish bedside table. {And I finally got my white lampshade repaired!}

bedside table vignette

White dishware, clear glass, shells, {accessories hiding in my cupboards} and fresh flowers from the yard line the shelves.

shelves

My goals in this makeover were three-fold:

• a fresh, new look
  • as quick as possible {I thought I could do this in a day…  It took a little longer than that!}
  • for  little to no money {I ended up spending $6.00 on 6 picture frames for the ferns.  I just couldn’t figure out how to make them with what I already had…}

Next week I’ll be back with tutorials on the nightstand, headboard, pillows, and botanical prints.

accessories

Thanks for stopping by and letting me give you a mini-tour.  It’s not every day I show  guests our bedroom… {Perhaps it doesn’t look like this all the time??!}

P.S.  I forgot to tell you about one thing…The bed ruffle.  I wanted something “soft and dreamy” looking.

with bedruffle

You are going to laugh yourself silly when I tell you what it is…  More about it later.

Linking Up:  Freckled Laundry, Miss Mustard Seed, aka Designs, At the Picket Fence, Saved by Love Creations, Funky Junk Interiors, Classy Clutter, I Heart Naptime, Home Stories A-Z, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, How to Nest for Less, Savvy Southern Style, Southern Lovely, Thrifty Decorating, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Thrifty Decor Chick, Craftberry Bush

{ 27 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill May 25, 2012 at 9:12 am

I love the botanical prints! $6 well spent :)

Loui♥ May 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Just had to leave you a comment!!
this is such a beautiful (AMAZING!) transformation!
i love the changes!..
everything is just so LIGHT! BRIGHT! and AIRY!
This easily transports one to the coast!
I LOVE it!
I know you are too !!
thanks for sharing..
now I can’t wait to discover what was used for the bedskirt!!
hugs and smiles..
Loui♥

Cheryl May 25, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Wow … that room is just getting better and better! Amazing transformation once again … beautiful colour combos and I love that bed skirt … I have an idea of what it was!!!

Cheryl :)

Caron May 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Oh! I am so jealous that you get to live in the Canadian San Juans. How fun – glad to have stumbled upon your blog!

Caron

Wren May 25, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I LOVE it! Makes me want to tear into my bedroom and fix it. But I’m knee deep in my studio makeover so it will have to wait. You did a beautiful job and I love that you’re a girl after my own heart; use what you’ve got in a new and happy way!

~Wren

dianne May 25, 2012 at 8:15 pm

WOW!!! It is absolutely lovely! I love the change from red to aqua. It is amazing what a color change and some rearranging can do, and to do it so frugally. I love it. Enjoy.

Danielle May 26, 2012 at 4:00 am

Wow! I love this transformation. You have that beachy cottage look down. Beautiful.

Tanya May 27, 2012 at 9:51 am

Oooooh this is so pretty!!!! I love everything, the pillows, the bedskirt, it’s beautiful :)

Tanya

Karen May 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm

so soft and inviting…very lovely indeed

Keeping it Cozy May 28, 2012 at 9:45 am

Beautiful! The perfect beach cottage bedroom… just in time for summer. :-)

Peggy @The Decorating Files May 29, 2012 at 9:01 am

Found you via How to Nest for Less linky party. I love the “beach cottage” look and you did an amazing job with this room. I can’t wait to hear the story behind the dust ruffle!

Erin @ How to Nest for Less May 29, 2012 at 11:40 am

I LOVE THIS!!! I can’t believe what a transformation you created. Great job Rita Joy!

Christine @ Park House Love May 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm

It looks fabulous! I love that tray on the bed…amazing how paint can turn a dark wood room into a light and bright space!

Anu@MyDreamCanvas May 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm

What a beautiful room! I really like a blog. I do hope you’ll visit me at My Dream Canvas!

Anne May 31, 2012 at 5:27 am

Stunningly beautiful! What a difference from the original room!! What makes people install such dark wood surfaces??!!

Lovely room! Enjoy!!

Erin @ Carolina Country Living May 31, 2012 at 6:37 am

GASP!!! Your bedroom is simply stunning, Rita Joy!! Great makeover!

Erin
(visiting from Freckled Laundry)

Jami at freckled laundry May 31, 2012 at 11:21 am

So fresh and beautiful, Rita! Old chairs make the best night stands and I love the finish you gave the other one. xo Jami

Maureen May 31, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Love it all!! This was a fantastic job and using what yo had really paid off. I love beachy/cottagey so this is right up my alley.

Mallory May 31, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I’m featuring this gorgeous bedroom on my blog tomorrow for Spotlight Saturday top 20!

thanks so much for linking up!

HRH Sarah June 3, 2012 at 8:09 am

What a fabulous makeover! Looks fantastic, and it must be heavenly to sink into all that beachy goodness at the end of the day. Really good work, and impressive use of what you already had… thanks for sharing!

Erin @ How to Nest for Less June 4, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Dropping by again! Just thought I’d let you know that I’m featuring you tonight :)

Jena @ Involving Color June 4, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Wow, you did an amazing job in this room! I love everything about it! The White Dawn walls with the splashes of color look perfect!

Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage June 4, 2012 at 4:57 pm

What a fabulous room – so light and bright. Love the high ceiling and the fern prints and the chair side table. Now I need to know about that bed skirt!
Kelly

Kim June 4, 2012 at 6:47 pm

This is so beautiful. I love everything about it. I see that you listed my party that you joined, but I didn’t see it there. Maybe I overlooked it. I would certainly remember this. Great job.

binhtheredonthat June 5, 2012 at 7:32 am

Rita, I saw your bedroom featured over Erin’s blog. I love your bedroom, it’s beautiful and you did such an amazing job!

Trina December 28, 2012 at 7:37 am

Stopping by from Design, Dining, and Diapers Happy Hour. This bedroom makeover is stunning! A really amazing transformation. I love it!

Jaime from Crafty Scrappy Happy December 28, 2012 at 8:43 am

Oh YES, you KNOW this is my favorite project of yours from 2012 too!!! I just adore this room, the before and after photos are crazy amazing! :) I hope you are having a wonderful holiday sweet blogging friend!
Jaime