Full of flavor and healthy nutrition, these homemade turkey burgers are lip-smacking good! Grill them to perfection in under 15 minutes.
Have I mentioned lately that my husband and I are empty nesters?
It’s a whole new stage of life and we’re loving it.
Like all stages of life, there are adjustments and changes, and we’ve been making a consious effort to try to have healthier eating habits.
The last few weeks we’ve been on the hunt for some new dinner ideas that are full of flavor and healthy goodness – and have fewer calories.
We tried these turkey burgers as an experiment and just LOVED them.
I combined a whole bunch of ideas together – so here’s a recipe just from me – to you!
How to make Homemade Turkey Burgers
Ingredients for this recipe:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup cauiflower rice (I made my own using this roasted cauliflower rice recipe minus the lemon)
- 2 cups mushrooms, diced finely
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make the turkey burger patties
Step 1: Mix together all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use a large spoon or clean hands to combine the ingredients well.
Step 2: Measure out 1/2 cup turkey burger mixture and form into a ball with your hands, and then flatten into a patty. Make a small dent in the center of the patty, as they tend to puff up in the center as they cook.
Step 3: Lay on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and freeze (if you want to use them at a later date). Then package in a ziploc bag once they are frozen individually.
How to cook turkey burgers on the grill
Remove as many burger patties as you want to cook from the freezer.
Thaw on a plate in the refrigerator.
Preheat your grill to medium-high heat – about 425 degrees. Just like a cast iron pan, you want the grates of the grill to be nice and hot so the burgers won’t stick.
Carefully oil the grates of the grill lightly before putting the burgers on using a pair of tongs with a generously oiled paper towel on it.
Place the prepared turkey burger patties on the hot grill and let them cook on one side for about 5 minutes.
Then, using a large barbecue flipper, quickly slide underneath the turkey burger and flip it over.
The cooking time will help it release and not stick to the barbecue grates.
Continue cooking (approximately 5 minutes per side) until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees farenheit.
How to cook turkey burgers in the oven
If it’s too cold for you to be barbecueing outside right now, you can cook them in the oven instead.
Follow these steps to turkey burgers in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place a cooling rack in a pan with sides in it – like a jelly roll pan.
- Place the turkey burgers on the cooling rack (so juices can flow out and the hot air can get all around them) and cook for 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches about 155 degrees. There is no need to flip the burgers using this cooking method.
- Remove from the oven, tent with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. It will continue to cook slightly as it sits there.
What do you put on a homemade grilled turkey burger?
You can load up your grilled turkey burgers and serve them on a bun just like you do beef burgers. Here are some of our favorite options:
- grilled mushrooms
- diced onion
- sliced tomatoes
- ketchup & mustard
- mayonnaise + red hot sauce
If you want a lower calorie option, you can skip the bun and just have the grilled burger with a side salad and oven roasted veggies.
There are options gallore!
Turkey burgers are delicious served with traditional burger side dishes as well, such as:
For more ground turkey recipes, you might want to check these out:
- This Turkey Pumpkin Chili Recipe is so quick and easy to make – the perfect meal for a chilly day.
- Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes taste just as good as traditional sloppy joes – but maybe even better!;)
- Ground Turkey Shepherd’s Pieis a new twist on classic comfort food recipe.
Don’t miss a THING!!
Want to be notified of new posts and get more recipes and ideas for your home?
Just click here or the button below to join today!