Homemade lemon meringue pie is a favorite dessert of many – including me! I think the secret to a delicious mouthwatering lemon meringue pie is that it needs to be homemade! Store bought lemon fillings just don’t taste the same as the real deal.
Today I’m sharing the classic lemon meringue pie my mom always made. It’s a bit of a labor of love, but it’s oh, so worth it.
Lemon Meringue Pie from Scratch
Ingredients you’ll need for the homemade lemon pie filling:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind
- (Plus a 9 inch baked pie crust)
Ingredients you’ll need for the meringue topping:
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tarter OR 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Step 1: Assemble all your ingredients and supplies together and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Lemon meringue pie is a bit of a time sensitive recipe, so it helps to have everything laid out ahead of time. Before you start on the filling, get things ready for the meringue as well, since the meringue needs to be piled on the filling while it is still hot.
Step 2: Make the cooked lemon pie filling.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, mix together the sugar and cornstarch.
- Slowly stir in the water.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, stirring constantly.
- Boil for 2 minutes
- Remove from heat and slowly stir half of the hot mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks.
- Return all the mixture back into the saucepan. Continue stirring and cooking and boil again for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, butter, and grated lemon rind.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
Step 3: Make the meringue
- In a large stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and cream of tarter OR lemon juice until white and frothy.
- Very slowly add in the sugar, beating constantly.
- Continue beating until white and stiff peaks form. You cannot overbeat this, so make sure it is beaten well!
- Once the meringue is at the stiff peak stage, add in the vanilla.
Step 4: Pile the meringue on the hot lemon pie filling
Pile the meringue onto the pie filling making sure the meringue goes all the way to the crust so the edge is sealed. Swirl the meringue and pull up points for a decorative top.
Step 5: Bake
Bake the pie at 400 degrees for 7 – 10 minutes, or until the peaks of the meringue are just beginning to brown. (Keep an eye on it!)
Let cool completely away from drafts before cutting and serving.
Tips for making Lemon Meringue Pie from scratch
- Don’t stress if it isn’t perfect! There are many parts to a lemon meringue pie that are a bit finicky, so don’t focus on perfection. It will still taste amazing, I’m sure!
- To try to prevent the meringue from “weeping” (oily beads forming on the top of the meringue) be sure to add the meringue to the hot filling. Although I did that, this time it wept anyway! See the point above this…lemon meringue pies have a mind of their own. Another tip I read to prevent weeping is to avoid making this pie on a humid day. (Hmm…that’s not possible for some of us!)
- If your pie does weep (like mine did) and the beads bother you, they can be removed one by one with a q-tip. (That’s what I did!;)
Other recipes that may interest you:
- Grandma’s Luscious Lemon Bars
- Best Ever Lemon Recipes
- A Chocolate Lover’s Dream Dessert : Mocha Refrigerator Dessert Recipe
- Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Icing
For more recipes and ideas for your home:
Be sure to join the VIP newsletter list! As a valued VIP member, you will get exclusive access to the entire library of free printables – including wall art, cards, organization lists, menu planning set, and more.
Click here or the button below to join today.
And if you want to see more real life behind the scenes action, be sure to come join me on my @harbourbreeze Instagram Channel!
Comfort Food Dinner Ideas Just for You!
I co-wrote a comfort food recipe e-book set with my friend Shirley from Intelligent Domestications. You’ll find 30 Comfort Food Dinner ideas plus a bonus 10 Sweet & Treats recipes.
Click here for all the details.