Since the beginning of the year, I’ve been on a mission to develop healthier eating habits. I’ve been researching new recipes and eating more spinach in a week than I previously did in my whole lifetime!:)
This Super Skinny Chicken Alfredo with Spaghetti Squash is a combination of recipes and techniques I’ve learned from others. It’s loosely based on the Pioneer Woman’s Cajun Chicken Pasta which is hands down my favorite. pasta. in the whole world.
This version has a lot of the same flavour deliciousness minus half a gazillion calories!!:) (I don’t know how to give you the accurate calorie count, but trust me, it’s a lot less!).
Much of the calorie saving feature in this recipe is that it’s served with spaghetti squash instead of traditional pasta. Honestly, I’d never even had a bite of it before a few months ago. But, I’m telling you what ~ it’s amazing!
However, if you and your family really wants to go the pasta route, this sauce on real pasta would be scrumptious, too!
Enough talking. Here’s how the recipe goes:
How to cook the Spaghetti Squash:
~ Using a knife or fork, poke holes down the center top of the squash and microwave for 5 minutes.
~ Be careful removing it from the microwave. It will be hot!
~ Using a sharp knife, cut open the squash and scoop out the seeds.
~ Brush olive oil over each cut half, sprinkle with salt & pepper and place cut side down on a baking sheet.
~ Bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
How to make the Chicken Alfredo Sauce:
~ Chop 1 red pepper and one onion.
~ Mince 4 cloves of garlic.
~ Prepare 1 cup chicken broth.
~ Slice 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes in half.
~ Dice 2 or 3 chicken breasts. Sprinkle with cajun seasoning and rub into all sides of the meat.
~ Heat up a cast iron pan and add a drizzle of olive oil and 1 Tablespoon butter.
~ Once hot, add the chicken in in a single layer. Resist the urge to stir the meat and let it cook until it starts to turn white on the top. Then, turn each piece over.
~ When the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pan and place it on a clean plate.
~ Add the diced onions and peppers to the hot pan and saute until onions start to get clear.
~ Add in the garlic and keep sauteing. Sprinkle veggies with cajun seasoning and salt and pepper.
~ Once the veggies are softened and cooked, add the tomatoes and chicken broth.
~ Bring to a boil, cover, and turn down the heat to simmer. Simmer 10 minutes.
~ Remove the cover, turn up the heat, and let simmer for another 10 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
~ Add 1/2 cup 1 percent milk and stir until well combined.
~ Once the sauce is back up to a boil, add in 2 big handfuls of spinach.
~ Stir into the hot sauce until it is wilted.
~ Add the chicken and stir. Let it simmer a few minutes or until the chicken gets nice and hot.
Now back to the Squash:
Once the squash has baked for 40-45 minutes, remove from the oven and flip each half over.
Using a fork, scrape out the squash (it will look like spaghetti strands!) and place in a serving bowl.
Serve the sauce over the squash.
So yummy (and filling!).
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 big handfuls spinach
- ½ cup 1% milk
- Cajun seasoning
- salt & pepper
- To Cook the Squash:
- Score a line down the center front of the squash with a knife or fork. Microwave for 5 minutes. Remove carefully from the microwave (it will be hot!), cut down the middle, and scoop out the seeds. Brush each half with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Lay cut side down on baking sheet and bake 40-45 minutes at 400 degrees.
- For the Chicken Alfredo Sauce:
- Heat up a cast iron pan. Add a drizzle of olive oil and 1 Tbsp. butter. Lay chicken pieces (seasoned with Cajun spice) into hot pan in a single layer. Once the tops are starting to turn white, turn over and cook until cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and place onto a clean plate.
- Add pepper and onion to hot pan. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning & salt and pepper. Saute until onion is starting to turn translucent. Add garlic and saute a few more minutes. Stir in chicken broth and cherry tomatoes. Bring to a boil, cover, turn down heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and simmer 10 more minutes (turn up heat if you need to to keep the sauce boiling.). Once the sauce starts to thicken, add in ½ cup milk. Stir. Once it comes to a boil again, add in spinach. Stir until wilted. Add in chicken and cook until heated through.
- To Serve:
- Remove squash from the oven and scrape out the inside with a fork. Place squash in serving boil and serve hot sauce over the top.