Do you have an occasion where you need a deliciously cool and fluffy Summer dessert? You do? Yeah! Then I have an idea for you : Grasshopper Pie!
My sister-in-law introduced me to this dessert a long time ago. What an unfortunate name it has… If “Grasshopper Pie” is just too off-putting to you, I hereby give you permission to call it Fluffy Chocolate Mint Dessert.:)
This is one of those recipes that multiplies well. It can be made pie-sized (like this recipe will be), or be doubled to fit in a 9 x 13 inch pan. Or, if the event being served is the size of an army, the basic recipe can be multiplied to fit into commercial-sized pans, too.
Here’s the Basics of Creating Grasshopper Pie:
- Start by making a basic oreo crumb crust.
- Add milk to marshmallows and melt together in the microwave.
3. Once they are melted fully, stir until all smooth and creamy.
4. Add mint flavoring (to taste) and green food coloring (as green as you want it!). Place the warm marshmallows in the freezer to cool them off a bit.
5. Whip up some cream with a little sugar and vanilla.
6. Once the marshmallows are cooled, fold in the whipped cream.
7. Pour filling onto the oreo crust, and sprinkle some oreo crumbs on top.
8. Cool well before cutting and serving.
PS. If you’d like another great Summer dessert recipe, you might want to check out my Grandma’s amazing Strawberry Pie.
(Hmm…It seems I’m on a pie kick this summer!;))
- 1¼ cups oreo cookie crumbs (or 17 oreo cookies, crushed)
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 28 marshmallows
- ½ cup milk
- mint flavoring
- green food coloring
- 1 cup whipping cream
- sugar and vanilla to taste
- For the Crust: Mix together oreo crumbs and melted butter. Mix and press into a pie pan or 9 x 9 inch square pan, reserving some crumbs for the top.
- For the Filling: Melt marshmallows and milk in the microwave until marshmallows are melted and smooth when stirred. Add a few drops of mint flavoring and green food coloring. Stir well and let cool. Fold in 1 cup whipping cream (whipped with sugar and vanilla to taste) to the cooled marshmallow mixture. Pour over crust. Top with remaining crumbs.