Your family is going to love this quick and easy favorite meatloaf recipe with a homemade sweet and tangy glaze baked on top.
I spent 2 years cooking for a camp and retreat center, and learned this special method for making meatloaf. It turns out delicious every single time. Not only is it one of my family’s favorite meal, it was also a favorite of hundreds of guests!
Homemade Meatloaf with Smashed Potatoes
Good ol’ meatloaf and smashed potatoes. It feels a little old fashioned to me ~ like maybe I should be wearing a vintage dress and heels while I make it ~ a-la June Cleaver ~ although, truth be told, I’ve never seen an episode of Leave it to Beaver!:)
This easy meatloaf recipe is juicy and full of flavor, with the perfect tangy & sweet glaze baked right on top. It’s perfect serve with smashed potatoes (recipe is also below), baked potatoes, or mashed potatoes.
Ingredients needed for this Homemade Meatloaf recipe:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup oatmeal
- salt and pepper to taste
For the glaze:
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons mustard
- 1/3 cup ketchup
Step by Step Instructions
Mix all meatloaf ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Use a large spoon for mixing, and if you aren’t too squeamish, wash your hands well and mix it together well with your hands.
Press meatloaf mixture firmly into a loaf pan.
Step 3: Turn formed meatloaf onto a parchment paper lined baking pan with sides.
Rather than baking meatloaf in a loaf pan (where the grease sits in a pool on the top ~ Yuck!), try this trick: Flip the packed meatloaf from the loaf pan onto a large pan with sides which has been lined with parchment paper.
(“Whack it!” firmly on the bottom, til it slides out of the loaf pan.)
With this method, the grease will then run out onto the pan as it bakes. It works like a charm!
Step 4: Mix the barbecue sauce glaze ingredients together in another bowl and pour over the top of the meatloaf.
The secret weapon of this meatloaf is the sauce you pour over the top. It makes the house smell delicious as it bakes and adds so much flavor!
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until completely done (and not pink) in the center.
Tips for making meatloaf amazing!
- DO NOT over mix it after you put the oatmeal in. If you do, it turns very gummy. Although it never happened to me, I’ve heard horror stories.;)
- Be careful not to pack the loaf pan too tight with the meatloaf mixture. Just gently press it into the loaf pan before you flip it onto the baking pan – or you can just form it into a loaf shape with your hands.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper (not wax paper!) or aluminum foil for easy cleanup.
- For easy slicing, rest the meatloaf for 5-10 minutes after baking before slicing.
- Meatloaf typically is served with some type of potato. Baked potatoes work great. Or, the smashed potato recipe below is a great variation and also a hit!
For more easy ground beef recipes that are classic, nostalgic comfort food dinner ideas, you may want to check out:
- Individual Hamburger Steak in Oven are super quick & easy to make and are similar to individual meatloaf!
- Make Ahead Lasagna is one of our favorite freeze ahead meals (and you don’t have to cook the noodles first!
- Crock Pot Baked Beans has both ground beef and bacon in it, so is delicious served as a main dish with buns & butter!
What should I serve with this easy meatloaf recipe?
Typically, meatloaf is served with some kind of potato recipe. Side dish recipes like smashed potatoes (recipe below), baked potatoes (or even smoked baked potatoes), mashed potatoes, or recipe potato salad are all great options. Other sidedishes that would be yummy with meatloaf include:
Here’s how to make Smashed Potatoes:
1.Wash baby potatoes and place in large saucepan covered with water.
2. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender. Be careful that you don’t overcook them, though, or they will fall apart.
3. Drain cooked potatoes, and place on baking dish.
3. Smash each one with a potato masher.
4.Brush each one with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper and any other spices of choice. (I used Epicure’s Oven Roast spice this time.)
5.Place in a 400 degree oven & bake until they are lightly browned and slightly crispy. (About 10 minutes).
When making smashed potatoes to go with meatloaf, I bake the meatloaf first. Once I take it out of the oven, I increase the oven’s temperature and bake the smashed potatoes.
Meatloaf slices cut easier if it rests a few minutes before slicing, so baking the potatoes while it’s resting works well.
For more ground beef recipes you may want to check out:
- The Best Freeze Ahead Lasagna
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Cheesy Beef Casserole with Biscuit Topping
- Crock Pot Pizza Potato Bake
For more recipes, crafts & ideas for your home all year round, become a VIP!
Become a VIP newsletter subscriber and get instant access to the library of free printables (including wall art, gift tags, and more!). Click here or the button below to join today.