This quick and easy oven baked hamburger steak recipe with barbecue topping is a great weeknight dinner idea.
When I was a newlywed and just getting used to the idea of cooking daily dinners, I spent hours pouring over recipes.
I had inherited my Grandma’s original recipe file and had so much fun going through it.
I found in the neatly organized “meats” tab a recipe from my Aunt Violet – Baked Hamburgers.
It’s a quick “cheater meal” recipe that just takes a few minutes to put together – and tastes delicious, too!
How to Make Hamburger Steak in the Oven
Ingredients for hamburger steak in oven:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package onion soup mix
- salt and pepper
- Barbecue sauce of your choice
Steps for how to make this hamburger steak recipe without gravy
1. In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, oatmeal, onion soup mix, milk, salt & pepper.
Use a large spoon to begin with, but to mix well blend together with your clean hands.
2. Roll a generous handful of ground beef mixture into your hand and form into a patty shape.
I learned from watching a Rachel Ray show that it helps to press the center down to form a “dip” in the middle – as the burgers will puff up in the center.
3. Squirt ketchup and barbecue sauce onto each patty.
You can be as liberal as you want with this step! Rather than making homemade gravy – as is the traditional hamburger steak recipe – this “cheater recipe” is much quicker!
4. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered for 30-45 minutes, or until the beef is no longer pink in the center.
How to freeze Hamburger Steak to use later:
Since it is only the 2 of us eating dinner these days, I froze the extra hamburger steaks to use at a later date. (I love bulk cooking and freezer meals!)
This is how to turn this hamburger steak recipe into a freeze ahead meal:
- Following the directions in the recipe card, form the burgers and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Then, place them uncovered in the freezer.
2. After about 2 hours, remove them and package them in a large Zip-loc freezer bag. That way, they are frozen individually and don’t stick together. You can also remove just the amount of burgers I want to cook for each meal.
To cook hamburger steak from frozen:
Cooking food from frozen can be done 2 ways:
- Thaw it out fully first. If you think about this method in time, it’s great! Just remove the hamburger steaks from the freezer and place in the fridge until thawed. Then bake as if they were freshly made.
- Bake from frozen (the method I usually use). Place the frozen hamburger steaks on baking dish and add ketchup and bbq sauce. Cover with foil and place in oven as it is heating to 350 degrees. Bake 30 minutes with foil on. Remove foil and bake 30 minutes more. Watch them as they are baking, as baking times may differ based on the size of the hamburger steak patties.
What do you serve with baked hamburger steak?
To make hamburger steak without the oatmeal showing:
If seeing the oatmeal in the burger bothers you, you can alternately do the following:
Place the oatmeal, onion soup mix, and milk in the blender. Blend until smooth. Then add blended mixture to the ground beef and mix well.
Get more recipes & ideas for your home delivered right to your inbox! Become a VIP newsletter subscriber!
Become a VIP newsletter subscriber and get instant access to the entire library of free printables (including wall art, gift tags, and more!). Click here or the button below to join today.
And if you want to see more real life behind the scenes action, be sure to come join me on my @harbourbreeze Instagram Channel!