Avocado chocolate pudding is a decadent use of ripe avacados, and is a great way to cure chocolate cravings and give your body some good, healthy fats, too! Made with just 5 simple ingredients, it can be blended in minutes for a rich, chocolately dessert.
Why you might want to try this healthy chocolate avocado pudding.
I’ll admit, the first time I heard of chocolate avocado pudding was last year when my daughter in law clued me in. We had an abudance of ripe avocados that needed to be used asap, so she suggested we try making avocado pudding with them.
We pulled up a recipe online, tried it, and was astounded at how delicious it was! I’m no stranger to traditional chocolate pudding. In fact, homemade microwave pudding is one of my favorite quick dessert ideas. I really didn’t think I would be a real fan of it, but I was! The problem was, I didn’t keep track of which recipe it was. When I wanted to try it again, I pulled up a different recipe, and it was AWFUL…!
Fast forward to this past week. My husband was recovering from nose surgery to repair a life long breathing problem. Like many of us, the combination of anesthesia and pain killers was causing havoc with his digestive system.
Since I’ve heard that the healthy fats in avocados can help with that, I decided to try again to make some chocolate avocado pudding to go with our coffee time.
This time, it was delicious, and I wrote down the recipe! It’s so quick and simple, and feels good on your tummy, too!
Reasons why I love this particular chocolate avocado pudding recipe
- This healthy pudding recipe uses regular unsweetened cocoa powder instead of chocolate chips, so I don’t have to spend time melting anything first.
- As we’re trying to cut back on things with added sugar, I love how this creamy chocolate pudding is sweetened with the natural sweetener of maple syrup.
- Blending the ingredients together in a high-speed blender makes them come together to form the perfect creamy pudding texture.
- This easy recipe only uses a handful of ingredients and can be made as an easy dessert in just minutes! Pretty it up with garnishes and it could even be served at a dinner party!
Ingredients you’ll need for this creamy avocado pudding
To get started making this recipe, you’ll first want to gather all your ingredients first.
What you need to make avocado pudding:
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and the pit removed
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of Himalayan pink sea salt (or any salt you have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon water
You may also want some toppings like granola, whipped cream, or chia seeds.
Step by Step Instructions for blended chocolate avocado pudding
Step 1: Place all ingredients into a high speed blender, food processor, or a narrow bottom deep bowl for an immersion blender and blend until smooth.
Step 2: Transfer the creamy chocolate pudding into serving bowls and garnish with topping of your choice.
Tip: If your high speed blender doesn’t have a narrow base, it might struggle to get everything mixed together smooth.
I ended up transferring the mixture into a narrow based bowl that was deep, and used my hand held immersion blender to blend it to be completely smooth.
If you want the pudding to be thinner, just add a little more water at the end and blend some more.
How to store leftover avocado pudding
If you have any leftover avocado pudding, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Other Pudding recipes:
- Steamed Pudding is our traditional Christmas dessert recipe at our home.
- This microwave pudding can be made in whatever flavor you’d like – vanilla, chocolate, or butterscotch!