Refresh your dated bathroom using budget friendly ideas – including a painted bathroom feature wall using Evergreen Fog – the Sherwin Williams 2022 color of the year!
A “simple” ceiling repair set in motion a whole refresh of our main bathroom this Summer. Step by step, one thing led to another, until we now have a bathroom that looks completely fresh & new!
Considering the fact that an average bathroom renovation (with new everything!) costs $14,000-$22,000.00 in 2022, we opted for a super budget friendly approach.
We chose to work with all the major parts of the bathroom and keep the tub/ shower, toilet, vanity, and flooring as it was.
Here is what our bathroom looked like after the ceiling issue was repaired and part of the ceiling stipple was scraped off:
We’ve found that the bathroom functions well with the large vanity and layout of the room. However, we wanted to update the overall look of the space.
The mirror and lights were some of our least favorite features of the space – along with the dark beige paint color on the walls.
And here is the space now:
Here’s what we’ve done so far:
- After we ran into a snag with scraping off the ceiling stipple, we decided to clad the ceiling in faux shiplap instead. We used the same method as the shiplap accent wall in our powder room with one major difference. Because of how the studs were laid out on the ceiling, we found there was nothing to secure them to. So, we glued them on using gorilla glue and mechanical bracing while the glue cured. (I’ll do a full post of that process later.)
- A new fresh and clean wall paint color – Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore – brightened up the space. We loved it. However once it was all painted, it felt too stark white for us.
- Evergreen Fog was painted as a feature bathroom wall. Just adding that bit of color to the space totally changed the look and feel of the space. We love it!
- A new mirror, lights, faucet and drawer pulls updated the vanity area.
- Accessories like a turkish towel shower curtain, soft throw rugs, and a faux plant in the window sill make the space feel both relaxing and inviting. *Tip: Hang your shower curtain as high as you can. It helps make the space feel more spacious! Even a few inches can make a big difference.
More about Evergreen Fog Paint Color
It can be tricky to choose paint colors sometimes, so I’ve put all my tips for choosing paint colors in this post. My biggest piece of advice is to try any color in the actual space you’re considering using it in. Light changes everything!
Evergreen Fog is the Sherwin Williams 2022 color of the year. If you google it, you will find all kinds of beautiful examples of it painted in different rooms.
I love this article on evergreen fog, which gives a great description of the color as well as picture examples in many different lighting situations.
Dislosure: The following are affiliate links.
We purchased most of the supplies at our local Home Depot. If you like to shop there, too, here are some bathroom sources from there:
More Bathroom Makeover Posts
For more recipes, crafts & ideas for your home all year round, become a VIP!
Become a VIP newsletter subscriber and get instant access to the library of free printables (including wall art, gift tags, and more!). Click here or the button below to join today.