Tender, golden brown chicken breasts smothered in a rich, creamy spinach sauce and topped with cheese makes this skillet chicken florentine an irresistable recipe. The entire family will love this idea for dinner tonight!
I discovered this one pan chicken florentine recipe through a diet site – of all places! The first time I tried it, I looked at my husband with big eyes and said, “This is a DIET recipe?”
Now, I don’t claim to be a health coach or have any input as to what is deemed “healthy recipes”, but I can claim with great authority that this recipe is amazingly delicious and I recommend it with all my heart. It’s a “keeper”, and has actually become a favorite recipe.
Why you’ll love this easy chicken florentine recipe
- If you’re looking for low carb recipes, I’m told this is one!;)
- This easy chicken florentine recipe is made with simple ingredients.
- If you’re looking for good options for quick dinner idea, this easy chicken breast recipe can be made in minutes.
- If it’s a hot day and you don’t want to heat up the kitchen with the oven, this great recipe can be made in one pan on the stovetop!
- This chicken recipe can be served with just a simple green salad, or it also makes an incredible topping for pasta or garlic mashed potatoes.
Ingredients for Chicken Spinach Florentine
(A printable recipe card is located at the bottom of this post for your convenience.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes packed in oil
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 8 oz full fat cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves (2 big handfuls)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
Step by step instructions for this skillet chicken recipe
- Place the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, pound the breasts until they are thin like chicken cutlets. Cut into serving sized pieces.
- In a small food processor, process the sundried tomatoes and warm water until it is as smooth as possible. Mix them together in a bowl with the cream cheese, garlic powder, and basil. Set aside.
- Heat up a large skillet to medium-high heat and add in the olive oil and butter. Once it is heated to the point the meat sizzles when you put it in the pan, place the chicken breasts in in a single layer in the hot pan. Salt and pepper to taste. **Adding a little butter with the oil will result in juicy chicken breasts with a golden crust.
- Once you see the chicken breasts turning white and cooking around the edges, flip them over to the other side. Continue cooking until they are cooked through and there is no pink in the middle.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pan and place on a plate.
- To the same hot pan, add a little more butter and saute the diced onions and celery until the onion is clear and the celery is soft.
- To the softened onion and celery, add the cream cheese mixture and slowly whisk in the chicken stock.
- Stir constantly, scraping the bottom of the skillet to get all the yummy browned bits of flavor up from it. Bring to a boil and turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Add the spinach to the simmering creamy sauce and stir until wilted.
- Add the chicken breasts back into the pan and cover each one with a slice of provolone cheese.
- Cover and let simmer for about 3 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through and the cheese is melted.
You can substitute the provolone cheese slices for grated mozzerella or parmesan cheese. I’ve also substituted sliced gouda and it’s delicious. If you eliminated the cheese altogether, it would still be delicious.
Where did Chicken Florentine get its name?
Chicken florentine got its name because it uses the florentine method of cooking. Meaning, it is patterned after the way food is cooked in Florence, Italy. Florentine recipes feature spinach.
Other Chicken Recipes you might want to try:
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Red Chili Peanut Sauce
- Favourite BBQ Grilled Chicken Marinade Recipe
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken & Pepper Fajita Wraps
My friend Shirley from Intelligent domestications is sharing a main dish dinner idea on her blog today, too. Go check out the yummy idea she has!
For more recipes, crafts & ideas for your home all year round, become a VIP!
Become a VIP newsletter subscriber and get instant access to the library of free printables (including wall art, gift tags, and more!). Click here or the button below to join today.