Creamy Curried Carrot Soup
Warm curry spice and carrots are a perfect match in this quick & easy curried carrot soup recipe.
Soup is one of our favorite dinner ideas. This creamy carrot soup is quick to get simmering on the stove – and can be adjusted to be as spicy as you prefer.
We had it for lunch today served with grilled ham & cheese sandwiches. Yum!
How to Make Creamy Carrot Soup
Ingredients needed for this carrot soup recipe:
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder (or less if you don’t want it as spicy)
- 1 tsp. chili powder (or Cajun spice)
- 3 packages OXO chicken bullion powder
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley (for garnish)
Video instructions for Creamy Curried Carrot Soup:
Steps to Making Carrot Soup with Curry:
- Melt butter in a large pot and sauté the onions and pepper until the onions are translucent.
- Add spices and salt and pepper and sauté another minute.
- Mix the bullion powder with hot water and add to the pot, along with the carrots.
- Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the carrots are tender – about 35-45 minutes.
- Once the carrots are tender, blend soup until it is smooth.
How to blend creamy soups:
There are a few different ways to blend the soup:
- If you have an immersion blender, you can use it directly in the pot. Be sure to carefully proceed so hot soup doesn’t splash up and burn you.
- The soup can be blended with a traditional blender or food processer this way: Strain the vegetables from the liquid and place in a blender or food processer. Puree until smooth and add back into the liquid.
Step 6: Once the soup has been blended until smooth, stir in the heavy cream or milk and bring to a simmer.
Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley and fresh ground pepper.
How to adjust how spicy the soup is:
If you don’t want the soup to be overly spicy, cut back on the curry and chili (or cajun) spices. You can always add more at the end if you want it spicier. Or, if you get it too hot, add a little honey to cool it down.
How to freeze Carrot Soup:
This soup freezes really well if you want to make it and use it later. Just freeze it before you add the milk or cream for best results.
What to serve with Carrot Soup:
Carrot soup can be served with toasted baguettes or grilled ham & cheese sandwiches. Or it’s good served just with saltine crackers!
Looking for more yummy soup recipes? Here’s a few:
- This chicken gnocchi soup recipe is a copycat version of the very popular Olive Garden soup.
- Crock Pot Taco Soup is a family favorite.
- This spicy pumpkin soup tastes so good on a chilly day.
- Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- Hamburger Barley Soup
- This recipe for bacon potato soup is so delicious, and even better with these drop dumplings for soup. You can have the whole meal in one pot!
For more recipes & ideas for your home:
Become a VIP! Join today to get fresh ideas delivered right to your inbox! Just click the button below to get started.
And if you want to see more real life behind the scenes action, be sure to come join me on my @harbourbreeze Instagram Channel!
Many of our favorite recipes are included in the handy dandy Comfort Foods recipe book bundle.
Click the button below for all the details.
DON’T MISS A THING!
Join my list for more ideas for you and your home…
Your recipe does not indicate that carrots are in it. How many, chopped, sliced???