------------------------------------------------------------

“Movie Night in a Bag” ~ Gift Idea {Day 26}

October 26, 2011

When Christmas rolls around, we all find ourselves with the dilemma of finding unique, thoughtful, and doesn’t-break-the-bank gifts for people like teachers, etc… (or even kids’ birthday party gifts).

A few years ago I came up with the idea of a “Movie Night in a Bag” gift. Every thing you need for a relaxing movie night “in” is in the bag ~ popcorn & hot chocolate. It’s tied shut with a tag that can also be used as a gift card holder {if you so choose to include a gift card to a local video rental store}.

gift bags ps

The bag is small (and durable!) enough for your kids to throw in their backpacks on their way to school. This also can be adapted to be a gift for a whole family, as well. Just include the appropriate amount of “goodies” to accommodate each family member.

Here’s how I make them:

1. Start with a piece of fabric about 9x 22 inches. {I like to rip my fabric and have little fringed edges.)

2. Fold in half and sew up the sides with a 1/2 inch seam. The raw edges will show. That’s great!

DSC_4147

Stuff it with a package of popcorn and as many packages of hot chocolate as you’d like to include: {You could also include candy canes to be used as “stir sticks” for the hot chocolate. I’ve never tried it, but apparently, it’s yummy!}

DSC_4177

Make gift tags or gift card holders. (I’ll show you how I did mine tomorrow.)

DSC_4151

Tie the top shut with raffia, jute, or ribbon, and tie on your tag/ gift card holder.

gift bags ps

There they are ~ “Movie Night in a Bag”!

31 days button

Linking to: Thrifty Decorating, Freckled Laundry, Lovely Crafty Home

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Denise at PinkPostcard. October 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm

this is a fantastic idea Rita! I may have to tuck this away for my Christmas ideas this year!

Peggy October 26, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I love your bag! We've done snack night in a bag before and included gummy worms, homemade candies (essentially royal icing dots with flavor and coloring added on sheets of parchment paper), and some sweet/spicy nuts. Thank you this reminds me to do some posts of Christmas ideas!! We have a minimum of 12 kids I want to make snack bags for our jr high Christmas party and realized now is the time to keep an eye on the candy sales.

Tammy October 27, 2011 at 1:13 am

Love it! What a great idea! I can't wait for the Christmas season!

Stylish Settings October 27, 2011 at 1:14 am

Great idea

freckled laundry November 4, 2011 at 12:25 am

Oh, I love little homemade gifts like this! I'm all about little themed bags for holidays and this is a great idea! Featuring this tonight. Thanks Rita Joy!

Michelle October 30, 2012 at 6:50 am

Great Idea!! You were featured on my blog http://oliveandgallon.blogspot.com/!!

~Michelle

Stephanie May 25, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Fantastic idea! My husband is a soldier and mailing gifts back home is often expensive. I want my nephews and nieces to remember us for unique gifts and to know they are thought about so I like to send presents, not gift cards. Last Christmas, to lower shipping costs, I made pillow cases (mostly super heroes fabric as my husband’s side is filled with nephews) and a matching comic book. It was awesome! Your idea will be great for cutting down shipping costs and still giving a special “thinking of just you” gift! Fantastic!!