------------------------------------------------------------

The $159 Kitchen Makeover…REVEALED!

June 4, 2011

The last big part of our kitchen redo is (finally) finished!
Funny…these upper {European} cupboards were the very first thing we started working on…and the very last to finish…
Here was the kitchen when we first moved in:
DSC00442
Then…
DSC_1206
Mid-reno…
cupboards before bad
And now…
upper cupboards after
(The strange upper cabinets hiding some big pipes are a whole other “can of worms”. We’ll tackle that later!)
upper cupboards by stove
Here’s the rest of the room, Before:
DSC_1208
After:
beadboard after keeper
Before:
whole kitchen
After:
whole kitchen after
If you want to see any of the previous posts of the details, you can click on the links below:
From Black to White – A Dresser Makeover
DIY Kitchen Curtains
Painting European Cupboard Doors
Restoration Hardware Inspired Pendant Light
Old Window Message Board
Fabric Cupboard Doors
Beadboard (Wallpaper!)
Our original $100 challenge did expand slightly… Here’s the breakdown:

• $100.00 for building supplies for the upper cupboards (DON’T make the same mistake we did! A combination of our being in a hurry to catch a ferry and a helpful but uninformed Home Depot worker caused us to pay about 2/3 more than we should have for our shelving! We have since discovered huge sheets of the stuff (with the white melamine-like stuff covering it) for much less than we paid for the already cut shelving…
  • $40.00 for beadboard wallpaper (and I have some left over to use for another project…)
  • $18.25 for pendant light above sink

The rest was all re-purposed or “borrowed” from other parts of the house and garage….
The paint colors are:

• Walls: Designer Gray from General Paint (a close match to Benjamin Moore’s Gray Cashmere)
  • Backs of cupboards: Stratton Blue from Benjamin Moore
  • Trim and cupboards: Cloud White from Benjamin Moore

If you have any questions about any of the details of this little spiff-up, just let me know. I’ll be happy to answer.
Linking up to these great parties: Miss Mustard Seed, My Repurposed Life, Remodelaholic, Romantic Home, Chic on a Shoestring, At the Picket Fence, funky junk, tatortots and jello, lovely crafty home, I heart naptime, sisters of the wild west, my uncommon slice of suburbia, thrifty decorating, Freckled Laundry
Home Stories A – Z, One Project Closer, Making Lemonade

{ 75 comments… read them below or add one }

Susan @ Busy Home Adventures June 4, 2011 at 12:09 am

What a great after! The new color is so nice and that crown molding is awesome. I love your open shelves!

Eileen @ Cottage Beach House June 4, 2011 at 4:07 am

Wow. this is a big difference and it looks wonderful. I love the change up of where the fridge was to where it is now and the use of the bureaux there in the white paint looks fabulous.

Remodelaholic June 4, 2011 at 4:26 am

Oh my goodness, I love it all. I think you have done a wonderful job. i would love to have you come and write a special guest post about this at Remodelaholic. If you are interested please elt me know!

Thanks,
Cassity

Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage June 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm

This is beautiful!!! Great transformation! I thought my $1,200.00 remodel was a deal! (I did have to replace cabinets, and bought a dishwasher and garbage disposal, that I didn't have before!!!)

I guest posted on Remodelaholic, too! Congrats!

Happy Blogging!

~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage

Heather at Dusty Bay June 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm

You did a FANTASTIC job and should be proud of your efforts – well done, the kitchen looks beautiful!!!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage June 4, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Wow~ it is absolutely beautiful and on a budget! I love the open cupboards and all the details you added and the soft blue is just beautiful! Would love if you would come share this at Feathered Nest Friday :)

Pink Overalls @DIY Home Staging June 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Nice job. I love a cost-conscious remodel. It shows vision and hard work.

You are brave to have open shelving. It's a great look.

How do you get away with not having a range hood? Downdraft?

Thanks for commenting on my blog.

Tracey Ayton Photography June 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm

The wainscotting is so beachy!! I too have a very large clock in my kitchen. It's funny because not only does the stove have a clock but the microwave does too. It's all for the love of style!! Great job!

Joy @ Thrifty Parsonage Living June 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

What a great transformation for such a great price. Everything looks beautiful, I love it!
Great job!!!

Tammy June 4, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I love the color, the wainscoting, and curtains! I'm your newest follower. I hope you can visit me sometime soon!

Sharon Johnson June 4, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I love that you just took off the cupboard doors. This is stunning!!

At The Picket Fence June 5, 2011 at 12:48 am

This is just a fantastic transformation! I remember seeing your darling curtain cupboards and it is so neat to be able to see the rest of the makeover. Everything is just lovely and we are so glad you shared it at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) June 5, 2011 at 12:55 am

Oops, only half my comment showed up!

Love the changes to your kitchen. You did a great job unifying the look and updating it. We have those same cabinets in our basement, my parents' former in-law suite. Now I am inspired to take the doors off the top and painting the lowers to hide the oak trim. Do you mind sharing your paint brand/type? Thanks so much.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) June 5, 2011 at 12:58 am

Lesson learned, I should check the links BEFORE asking the question. I just read the post describing the painting of the cabinets. Thanks!

Kylie@StylishSettings June 5, 2011 at 1:57 am

You must be so happy to have completed this. I love the cornice you added above the overhead shelves. Really gives it a custom made look. Well done. Kylie

Desire Empire June 5, 2011 at 5:34 am

Congratulations that is amazing.
Best Carolyn

Rene June 5, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Wow, wow, wow! This looks SOOO much better. Great job! And by the way, love those skirts :)

Life With Lucy June 5, 2011 at 1:59 pm

It looks awesome! I'm really impressed! Thanks so much for sharing!

Becca June 5, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Your hard work and vision paid off … this is amazing! It's to light and fresh … love the skirts and great shelving!

Funky Junk Interiors June 5, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Wow, not only this this super economical, it's so pretty! I love the open cabs, skirted areas, board and batten… and the sign is an awesome eye draw! Beautiful!

Shared this on FJI Facebook for SNS 84. :)

Donna

ImSoVintage June 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm

great job and done on such a small budget. I'm impressed.

Donna G June 5, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Great job! . I am just finishing up the decorating projects before I share any pictures. Good to know it does end.

Peggy June 5, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Wow I love your kitchen! It is similar to the look I would like to go for.

Can I ask you some questions? Do you have your food located somewhere else? Was the beadboard wallpaper the paintable kind? We found some on clearance at Lowe's and I picked it up but haven't used it yet as I can concerned about the cleanability of it… I have to be able to clean the surface really well.

Once again… great kitchen!!!

Lizzy F. and Katie K. June 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm

What a fabulous makeover! I just love the new, breezy look. And those skirted cabinets… attached to the drawers? BRILLIANT!
(found you through Funky Junk Interiors Facebook post)

barbara@hodge:podge June 5, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Rita Joy, this is fabulous. Inspirational that anything is possible with a bit of imagination and a can of paint!

shannon i olson June 5, 2011 at 7:45 pm

great job!! love the open crisp feel. and the price tag!!

1 Funky Woman June 6, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Love the countertops and the open shelving! The pendant light and curtain are perfect for the space. Love the color behind the shelving also!

Following from Funky Junk Interiors hope you can stop by, I linked up also!

Megan

Anonymous June 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Love the color – my bedroom is painted in Gray Cashmere!

ALittleWorld June 7, 2011 at 1:14 am

Amazing job! Very inspiring.
Maybe will even inspire my husband to help me tackle some of the projects on my endless list :)

Kristen June 7, 2011 at 1:22 am

What an inviting space! So impressive! Well done. Enjoy the room and all your hard work! =)

Robin June 7, 2011 at 3:22 am

I can't believe this transformation!!! My kitchen is very much like yours and ive been wanting to remove all the upper cabinet doors…where do you store all your not so pretty things like canned goods and cereals?

Katherine June 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm

The tops that were added to the cupboards make a huge difference along with the painted wood backsplash. Nothing like a DIY project to make a world of difference with a small budget!

Kristin June 7, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Wow so amazing!!! It looks like a major $$ transformation. I'm blown away that you did it for so little.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting June 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm

All that hard work paid off, your kitchen looks BEAUTIFUL!! Martina

Shelia June 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Your kitchen is beautiful! What a difference! I know you're loving it!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

NauticalCottageBlog.com June 8, 2011 at 1:38 am

Great job on the finished Kitchen – it looks fresh, clean perfectly beach cottage. Congrats!

Aimee @ The Stylish Nest June 8, 2011 at 5:19 am

You did an amazing job! I really love the style too. It's so airy and bright.

Nita {ModVintageLife} June 8, 2011 at 6:36 am

I love your low budget makeover of your kitchen. I believe there is a lot you can do to a kitchen without spending a lot of money and you proved it. I'm working on a little redo of my own in my kitchen. Your's is very inspiring.

Orange it Lovely June 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm

gorgeous! truly a whole different room.
Great job!
Taña

Jena @ Involving Color June 8, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Your kitchen looks amazing! I'd love to add it to the inspiration galleries on my site and include you in a feature post. Let me know if you're interested!

HomeBuilderWholesale June 8, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Amazing how such small changes and make such a big difference. Good job!!

I saved $$$ by shopping for my new Kitchen Faucets at http://www.homebuilderwholesale.com. saved me a bundle.

Dharma June 9, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Great job! What an inspirational room. Ingenuity and thriftiness! Beautiful.

Rhapsody in August June 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I love the open shelves, beautiful kitchen!

Denise at PinkPostcard. June 10, 2011 at 2:31 am

It looks great!!!! I just saw that Miss Mustard Seed featured it- what an honor for you! :) Congrats!

Cassie June 10, 2011 at 4:47 am

Great Job! I also have light blue walls with white cabinets in my kitchen. I just love the airy freshness of your blue! Interestingly, like your blog name, I used a color by PPG called "Harbor Mist". :)

marie June 10, 2011 at 11:35 am

WOW! your kitchen gives me hope! my husband i are currently making plans to update our own kitchen…and a $159 makeover sounds right up my alley! GREAT job! i'm adding you to my feeder to see what else you come up with. :o)

Rachael@LovelyCraftyHome June 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Great job! I love it so much I'm featuring it today on my blog. Thanks for linking and be sure to stop by for a button!

Dixie Sargent Redmond June 10, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Wow! Great job using what you have. I totally love that. Amazing what losing the doors did. :-)

Dixie

❀ JoAnne June 10, 2011 at 7:59 pm

So pretty!! You have done SO much work and I can tell you put your heart and soul into it – it means so much when we have a kitchen that we love!!

Leslie June 10, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Wow! I was amazed that the refrigerator seemed to disappear with the blue walls!
I put beadboard wallpaper in my kitchen last year and love it, too!
What a difference painting that wood strip across the doors made!
It's just beautiful and bright!
Happy cooking and bon appetit!
HUGS,
~me

joanne June 11, 2011 at 1:05 am

Wonderful! I have those SAME CABINETS – how did you change out the doors on the lower cabinets??

Joanne June 11, 2011 at 1:09 am

oops – now I see thepost on the doors! I'm inspired! thanks for sharing!

Graziela June 11, 2011 at 1:55 am

I seriously love this kitchen makeover, because of the open shelves as well as the fixture over the sink. I have two small cabinets over my sink that I can barely reach, as well as a shelf on either side. I like how you opened that up above the sink, I'm thinking I might do that to my kitchen.

Coffee Queen June 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Amazing transformation…I love it.

Mindie Hilton June 11, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I love your kitchen green with envy.

I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

Come strut your stuff.

Stacey@A Sort Of Fairytale June 15, 2011 at 8:40 pm

absolutely beautiful and inspiring makeover! and for so little $$$!
i love love love it!!

Anonymous June 17, 2011 at 2:39 am

Wow Rita! All that hard work has paid off … the kitchen looks amazing!!!! I love how fresh it looks … what a transformation, it was all worth the wait! Coffee would be lovely in there!

Cheryl :)

Ann from On Sutton Place June 17, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Favorite things: beadboard, skirts as doors and the painted dresser. Well done! You have a nice, open, fresh place to work now. So inviting!

vintagevioletstyle June 24, 2011 at 2:36 pm

That is a seriously incredible makeover! I'm not sure I would have been able to see the potential in all that existing cabinetry, but now it totally rocks! I hope you pat yourself on the back every time you walk in there!

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating August 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Wow…..I never saw the finished product…this is gorgeous!! I'm pinning it! :)

Carolyn@SweetChaos September 16, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Wowzer!! You really transformed the kitchen into a beauty! Happy to be a new follower :)

the simple essentials October 26, 2011 at 5:06 am

Your kitchen looks so light and open. Good job!

Jaime Randle November 28, 2011 at 1:57 am

What is the green color in the before picture?!

A Pearl In The Making December 19, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Whoa!!! Great job. I have the same counters and they look so ugly, but the way you transformed your area with new color gives me glimmer of what mine could look like:)

Linda @ It All Started with Paint December 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I'm so impressed! You had me at $159 …

Keeping it Cozy May 21, 2012 at 5:12 am

You did such a wonderful job… I love it! I’m a big fan of taking what you have and making it work and you really accomplished that here.

Jocie@TheBetterHalf August 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm

what a huge difference. i’m not sure i would have the guts to do open shelving but it looks great and really opens things up!
Thanks so much for linking up and linking back. Be sure to like us on facebook for contest updates and winners!

Cranberry Morning September 10, 2012 at 5:31 am

I saw this makeover over at Bear Rabbit Bear. What a fantastic job! I just had to stop in and give you a pat on the back. It is a lovely renovation!

Salvador November 1, 2012 at 5:12 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on kitchen. Regards

Gina at CampClem January 11, 2013 at 7:25 am

Hiya, I found you via Home Stories A to Z. I *LOVE* this makeover. All your choices are just lovely, and I *especially* love that it’s a real makeover spending hardly any money at all!!! AMAZING!! Inspiring because it feels like something ANYONE can attain… Well, financially at least. Well done! Thanks for sharing!!
g i n a

Carrie March 29, 2013 at 9:27 am

I adore what you’ve done on such a small budget. It looks beautiful and so welcoming! You’ve been featured in the Spice Up Your Kitchen Awards, thanks so much for linking up:

Jasmine April 23, 2013 at 4:25 am

Nice blog here! Also your website loads up fast! What web
host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?

I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

Krista @thehappyhousie May 23, 2013 at 9:38 pm

What a pretty transformation – I love your style!!
Krista

velux blinds March 18, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Having a matching colour scheme makes blinds the space feel more unified
and it is more recommended.

commercial blinds April 15, 2014 at 8:13 pm

It is a common misconception that wooden venetian blinds possess too.
Warmed glass provides a cosy place to sit back and relax.
They’re waterproof blackout blinds for your
bathroom is their durability and easy maintenance.
Velux blinds are, for sure, a very important issue now days, especially bearing in mind where furniture was
to be positioned.