This rich and moist chocolate zucchini bread recipe will melt in your mouth and remind you of your favorite cake!
I found myself with zucchini in my fridge the other day that I needed to use up.
It reminded me of the (only) year I planted THREE zucchini plants in our backyard garden. Little did I know at planting time just how many zucchini 3 plants would give! I was hunting down every zucchini recipe I could find.
I’m not sure if I tried chocolate zucchini bread back then, but it sure was good now. With cocoa, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and white chocolate chips, it has triple the chocolate. Add in instant coffee powder and the chocolate flavor gets even richer. If you like dark chocolate, you’ll love this zucchini bread recipe – which reminds me more of cake!
Triple Chocolate Zucchini Bread
*Note: A printable recipe card of this recipe is located at the bottom of this post for your convenience.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
Step by Step Instructions:
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the inside of a loaf pan (the one I used was 8 x 4 inches) or line it with parchment paper.
- Step 2: Shred the zucchini with the large shredder portion of a cheese grater. Set the grated zucchini on folded paper towels to soak up some of the excess moisture.
- Step 3: In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, instant coffee powder and chocolate chips.
- Step 4: In a medium sized bowl, stir together the oil, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla.
- Step 5: Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Step 6: Fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Step 7: Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth out with a spatula.
- Step 8: Bake at 350 degrees 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Step 9: Sprinkle on the white chocolate chips immediately after removing from the oven.
- Step 10: Let bread sit in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Can this chocolate zucchini bread be frozen?
Yes! It freezes beautifully. Just make sure it is wrapped well in plastic wrap, a ziploc bag, or in a tightly sealed container. If stored properly, frozen zucchini bread should last up to 3 months.
How can I prevent the chocolate chips from melting on the top of zucchini bread?
I just sprinkled the white chocolate chips on immediately after removing the bread from the oven. Otherwise, they will melt on the top of the bread.
What if I don’t have parchment paper to line the loaf pan?
No problem! Just grease it will instead – with cooking spray, or wiping it with a thin coat of butter. I wouldn’t recommend using wax paper. You can read all that here: “Can I put wax paper in the oven?”
For other quick bread recipes, you might want to check out these previous posts:
This recipe was inspired by Sally’s Baking Addiction
Want to get more recipes and dinner ideas delivered right to your inbox?
Join my newsletter subscriber list for exclusive menu plans, printable grocery lists & menu planners, and new recipes. Just click here or the button below to join today!