While our boys have been away at camp this Summer, we’ve gotten more and more adventurous with our menu planning. We’ve been on the hunt for recipes with healthy ingredients and tons of flavour.
My husband found this one online. It claimed to be delicious with fish ~ and it was! It’s definitely one that I would have passed by previously, thinking it looked unusual.
But, surprise, surprise ~ It’s delicious!
In fact, we’ve made it at least 3 times already and it’s been printed and put in my binder of favorite recipes.
The base is a whole bunch of healthy veggies ~ including black beans and corn.
You mix them all up and add the dressing ingredients right into the bowl with the veggies.
Then, right before serving, you add sliced avacados and mix gently.
Or, you can do what I did and use the avacados to decorate the top.
Dee. Li. Cious!!!
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely diced onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (be sure to zest the limes before juicing them)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish (Optional ~ we opt out of this!)
- 2 avacados, chopped
- Combine all ingredients except for avacados in a large bowl and mix well. Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight. Right before serving, add avacados and mix gently, being careful not to mash avacados. Garnish with sliced avacado or cilantro if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Looking for other salad side dishes? You might want to try one of these: